1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 10 Still trying to figure out the sources

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by marrjri, Dec 26, 2013.

1. marrjri

marrjri New Member

I've been learning about TMS for about 2 months, and I am on day 10 of the SEP.

After reading one of Dr. Sarno's books, I immediately started to feel better. My chronic fatigue just disappeared suddenly. It is great to have my energy back! I have been able to start running for the first time in two to three years. I have pain that stops me occasionally, but I am generally able to complete my run with minimal discomfort. Both of these improvements are great.

However, I continue to have muscle pain, primarily in my upper body (back, shoulders, neck). So, I still have work to do.

I totally believe in the TMS diagnosis for me. I fit the description very well. I saw almost 20 doctors and had many tests run to confirm I have no structural issues or other physical problems. I beat myself up when I make mistakes and always try to be the good guy (perfectionist and goodist). I spend far too much time dwelling on my problems and trying to solve problems.

In working on the SEP, I continue to struggle to really identify the feelings that I fear that cause me my pain. I have listed out the traumatic events in my life and I have listed out my current stressors and personality traits. Those connect primarily to anger and fear. I have attempted to embrace those emotions and allow myself to feel those emotions. However, I have not felt like I have made progress during my 10 days. I imagine I am just trying too hard and wanting results too much. I know I need to let go.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on how you knew you had identified the unconscious emotions causing your pain and techniques that helped you let things go.

sapiencia, Stella and Ruth_L like this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I noticed them by journaling for about two months and then 1 day out of the blue -- bang, there it was . A repression that had to be hidden cause when I looked at what I wrote and thought about it then I had what we call an uh- huh moment and in which even though I wrote it down on paper I wasn't consciously thinking of this emotional issue but when I did I felt the pain let up.

There's all sorts of ways you will start to heal but most importantly is to get back to living the life you've always wanted to live.
    Now with that said, yes if you want the end to be now then your just adding repression to your pain so it keeps the fire going ya know.
    So be patient, don't focus on the body. Don't fear the symptoms. Think psychological at all times
    Bless You

sapiencia, Ellen and joseph32 like this.
  3. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

I found myself working too hard to figure out the triggers. I was being a perfectionist and obsessive about my healing which of course just added more pressure to the mix. I realize that this stuff is working its way out in its own time. I do my homework and then try and let it go. Focus on another part of my life - hopefully one that is more fun than dealing with pain! I've been listening to Eric tell me to be patient from day one and when i get stressed out, I hear his voice quietly telling me to be patient and I calm down.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've been thinking that most of our symptoms may be caused by the people in our lives,
    relatives, friends, bosses, co-workers. When anyone gives us stress, we need to put ourselves
    in their shoes and ask ourselves what may be causing them to cause us grief or whatever.

I think most of the time, we can think things out and figure they are under some TMS pain
    themselves, for any number of reasons. But they may take their pain or problems out on us.
    They may really have no idea or even care about the pressure they put on us. They're just
    focused on their own wants and needs. So if they make us a wall against which they hit
    their tennis ball, we just have to let the ball bounce away and not let it hut us in the head or gut.

Or course we may still be stuck being the wall, but somehow deflecting the ball helps when
    we put ourselves in their tennis shoes. Make sense?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Your the Best, Bless You my Friend

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

The Tennis Shoes Story is great Walt, Thanks