1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 10 Still some anxiety

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cutiejj, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Cutiejj

Cutiejj Newcomer

It's day 10 right now and I have been doing better lately. The pain is less and I'm doing more then I've done in the last year. Although the pain (true out my body) is less, the pain in my neck is more persistent. I do feel the pain is more manageable, although the last couple of days I'm having dizzy spells and I know I'm connecting the pain in my neck with the dizzy spells. (a physiotherapist once said to me that the dizzy spells came from my neck) And being dizzy is scary, so I'm trying to be less anxious about that.

I also notice there are still activities that make me anxious, but I'm more assertive (trying to be anyway). If I feel I'm anxious about some activity, I tell myself; yes, I know this makes me anxious (because of the pain), but I know I can do it and I'm gonna do it anyway, cause it's something I want to do. And I must say that it helps. Maybe the pain doesn't go away, but it also doesn't get worse. Although the day after the activity I do get a response, (like a tension headache) it feels like the anxiety just builds up in my body. But I also notice that once I've done the activity more, the tension gets less. So I see that as proof that there's nothing wrong physically and that I can do the activity!

I try to believe in the diagnosis and I tell myself everyday that's why I'm doing better. I'm also trying to see the bad moments as just that, bad moments, not bad days. I'm just trying to stay positive!

- Wendy

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Wendy, I'm glad you are noticing improvement in the SEProgram, even after just 10 days. You will have more good days as you continue in the SEP.

The dizzy spells may be from your neck, but I get them too, in short burst now and then, mainly when I'm on the computer. Maybe it's because the screen scrolls up and down. I close my eyes, sit and relax, and do some deep breathing. It goes away.

I had a bad dizzy spell about four years ago and my doctor prescribed meclizine. I bought it in a generic form called "Travel Sickness" from a company called Rugby. It's an OC medication at the drug store but I bought it through amazon.com. Very cheap for 100 tablets. I rarely use it but it works when I take one. You might look into it.

It's a good sign that even if the pain doesn't go away, it doesn't get worse. That must mean your subconscious is "getting it," that you are discovering and dealing with your emotions.

Have a great weekend and don't work too hard on the holidays. I posted about Christmas and how famous people remember their favorites,
    in the General Discussion subforum.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Your own self-talk seems so right on. It sounds good when I read it, and it is having the desired effect. Great work!!

4. Cutiejj

Cutiejj Newcomer

Hi Walt,
    Yes, I will look into that. I mean, maybe it will help, so thanks for your advice. I think I will be less scared, if I know it's manageable or there is something that can help.

It feels like my "subconscious" is learning, it just takes time.

@Andy B Yes, it helps me feel less hopeless about the pain and it is nice to have some control!

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Cutie, It won't hurt to try "Travel Sickness." I hate it when I feel dizzy, but that makes it vanish right away.
    Just keep reminding yourself that even though you may use a minor relief pill, the cause of dizziness is TMS.
    Usually it's because we're working too hard or worrying about something. Try to lighten up on yourself.

6. Cutiejj

Cutiejj Newcomer

Yes, I'm telling myself that and you are so right about the worrying. Yesterday the dizzy spells became worse and at the same time the pain in my neck increased and it started to become a tension headache. So I started thinking about why this would happen and thought back about what happened last week. And then it hit me, I was worrying about something. The same thing I had been journaling about in the program (a couple of days before) was now back into my present life and was again giving me tension. And when I connected that together; the pain, dizziness and headache became less, I would say like 60 to 70% less. :)

So yes, I know TMS is causing the dizzy spells. I will just see the pills as a little help, to show me, there's nothing to worry about. I think right now, my subconscious is shifting to the dizziness, because for me, it's more scary and makes me more anxious than the pain.

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement!

7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

This is huge! Keep this on your list of evidence that you have TMS. Also, you know that you are learning techniques that make a positive change in the symptoms. VERY NICE!!