1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Still Recovering

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jjsurfn, Mar 30, 2018.

1. jjsurfn

jjsurfn New Member

It's been a while since I last posted. I have had back and neck pain & shoulder pain for a couple years now. I read all the books and did the programs and had pretty good results, I was feeling much better but still had symptoms. I decided to go to a TMS doctor which I found a couple hours from where I live, Dr Gwozdz in NJ. I felt that I really needed to hear from someone else that I could be suffering from TMS.I had a great visit with him and a follow up group therapy, he put me on a program that really helped after a couple years of reading and research I felt this was just what I needed. It really helped I started getting much more active again I was still active before but still thought some things were bothering me mainly my surfing which is tough on any body especially a 52 year old. I have since joined the gym and its been 4 months of doing things I would not try before I continue to surf and do as I want. My life has been really stressful the last 5 or 6 years and I attribute alot of my TMS to this. I ve had marriage problems and a failing business that has been really tough. I am still dealing with closing my business and getting a new job. Every once in a while when things are not going PERFECT I will have back pain sometimes it could last for a couple days. I deal with my pain differently now since I usually know why it came on there is always a reason and stress never goes away. I do not fear my pain I just feel its part of me and usually go to the gym or do something active and some times it goes right away.It is so crazy how my body reacts to stress and difficult situations. I know exactly what is happening but I feel it is a constant battle, like will it ever just stop.I used to rush off to a chiro or some other kind of doctor now I do not .I have many more good days and weeks then before. I guess this is just who I am and wonder if sometime when my life evens out and I get rid of all the negitives and stress if I will stop dealing with TMS or It is life long. I hope someone out ther has been down this road and could give me some advise.

2. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi jjsurfin,

We have a similar experience with pain. And my journy is also not over yet . Or better said : that’s what i think
    Having psysical reactions to stress and difficult situations is also my ‘problem ‘
    But lately wondering if that is realy truelly a problem : maybe its totally natural and to expect. I am not talking about the dibilitating lasting kind of pain but
    the flares of pain.
    You call it ‘crazy’ that your body reacts but is it that crazy ? I am learning this just now and changing my perfectionist opinion on that too
    Like you i want to get rid of ‘all negative s’ off life : but really this is not possible is it ?
    Like you i had succes with dealing with pain but also setbacks and relaps etc
    And also the ‘fear thought this can all go on the rest off my life
    But its so easy to forget to see the progress you have made already and become totally perfectionist again with ‘the rest ‘
    Lately wondering if this is it : cause life will not my perfect and neither will i!
    I think your story is already pretty impressive and you did a pretty good ‘job’
    So this is not a reply that will give you advise ‘ on how to get rid of it all and get to a painfree life : both psysical or psychological i guess , but maybe food for thought
    Like your post was to me too

Ellen likes this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, most of us have been down this road. I agree with @karinabrown . We can never get rid of "all the negatives and stress". That is life. But we can change how we react to negative events and stress. You do not have to suffer from TMS your whole life. As the Buddha said, "Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional." I was never good at handling at stress, but I have recovered from TMS. It took awhile, but I "unlearned my pain" as Dr. Schubiner says. I have learned healthier ways to react and deal with stress. You can too. Sounds like you are on the right track since seeing Dr. Gwozdz. Just be patient and persistent in applying TMS recovery techniques. But keep in mind that it is your mindbody that needs to change, not the outside world, to be free of TMS.

Best wishes......