1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Still having uncertainties

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Bob, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Bob

Bob New Member

I’m sorry I always feel like I’m moaning on here and I’m sure I have covered this before but I’m still uncertain about my TMS, I have read the books done the programs done the journaling meditated stayed positive and have found a lovely therapist who is totally onboard with TMS, I have had severe siatcia for eight months, everything I read makes me think I have TMS my only concern is when I do a lot of walking which I have to do for my job my pain gets a lot worse, my muscles in my buttock feel like they have switched off leading to a lot of pain so is this structural,my therapist has unlocked some stuff and I find talking to her very helpful but I have had zero pain relief the pain is actually the worse it has been.

2. Jules

Jules Well known member

Worsening pain, after talking to a therapist is actually a good thing. It means that the brain is trying its hardest to keep you distracted. Consider this a success, especially if it starts to move around. Mine started worsening after I started talking to TMS therapist, after I’d already been to a therapist for two years. The brain doesn’t want to let go of the distraction, because it feels like danger is just around the corner. You have to continually tell yourself that you’re not in danger and thank your brain for trying to protect you but that you no longer need it. Then get up, and do it anyway.

Sometimes, the cure is worse than the disease. Keep at it, and tell yourself daily mantras and let go of the fear.

3. Bob

Bob New Member

Thanks so much jules this has this has given me great confidence, when the pain is reduced I find it so easy to put the TMS skills into action but when the pain is really strong it all goes out the window and I give into it and the destructive thoughts arise, the brain is such an amazing thing as us TMS sufferes well no, again thank you

Click#7 likes this.
  4. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Bob... I don't think it's a bad idea to get some pain relief. Even Sarno would do that for his patients. Before I knew about TMS years ago...doctors couldn't find anything wrong, but they believed I had pain. I was given something so I could function. I saw a therapist and the pain faded away. Some folks might say it's a crutch, but it was hard to function. It helped for a short time then I stopped needing it. Just a thought.