1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Stigma seems to be widespread

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ShimmsK, Sep 8, 2017.

1. ShimmsK

ShimmsK Newcomer

Im new to TMS but it has been in my life for a long time in many different ways. I tried to talk to a friend about it and he discouraged me from going down this path as he considers it legitmate due to actual muscle knots i have in my shoulders. Despite explaining the physical process he didnt seem convinced and even my sister said ' you cant get rid of all your pain with your mind', which communicates to be the big misconception our society has with the nature of pain and maladies we experience in our bodies. We are not tricking ourselves or aquiring Zen like power, we are recognising the true cause of the pain. Anyway i did feel silly talking to friends and family about TMS and it probably isnt helping my recovery in programming my mind. Like Sarnos says only a few accept their symptoms as psychosomatic. Maybe society is more comfortable treating a physical malady then to face their emotional issues. Anyone else experience lack of support or resistance from others? Id love to share Sarno books with family who are suffering but perhaps theyd be offended! But when you find out this stuff i guess its normal to wanna share it!

Everly likes this.
  2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

In All the Rage a patient tells Sarno a similar story about his family and friends reacting very negatively. This is his reaction: "Just tell them a cock and bull story. Look, the majority of the population are unable to understand and accept this. You can't hold that against them, so why bother to get involved? It is only going to aggravate you and make it more difficult for you. So really do anything you can to avoid getting into a discussion."

There really is only one way to convince people and that is by showing them how the TMS approach helped you. But even then some people will find ways to dismiss the TMS theory.

I think many people here experience similar problems. We want to share this knowledge with the people we love, but most people will simply not accept it. So try not to put too much energy in it until you have recovered.

ShimmsK likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yup! The culture needs its TMS for a psychological defense mechanism--it's "protector".

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink...I buy cheap used TMS books over the internet, they're usually a penny + $3.99 shipping, or you may find them in thrift stores for a quarter. I'll give them out to sufferers--if they buy into it or don't that's their call--I did my good deed and don't take it personally if they throw it into the lagoon.

ShimmsK and MindBodyPT like this.
  4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Be confident in your explanation and have evidence if you want to talk to people about it! I introduce it to patients sometimes if they seem amenable and it takes some of the time, not always. Not everyone has the ability to accept it for a variety of reasons. The theory is extremely logical if you try to understand it and think outside the conventional box. Choose your battles regarding who you try to convince.

Tennis Tom and ShimmsK like this.
  5. ladyofthelake

ladyofthelake Peer Supporter

I rarely talk about my recovery from chronic pain unless somebody asks and is engaged with my story. Most people are very attached to their pain being "real." This info is a google search away...thanks to the efforts of the people here.

ShimmsK and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. ShimmsK

ShimmsK Newcomer

Good feedback. Thanks guys!