1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Stiff Low Back for Someone Who Sits Most of Day for Work

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by elizabethswan, Aug 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. elizabethswan

elizabethswan New Member

Hi All-

I just wanted to see if anyone else here has experienced a stiff low back pain, works a job that requires sitting long hours per day (think at least 12), and was able to still achieve recovery.

I really am convinced I have TMS but I think the fact that sitting for long hours and the low back stiffness just making sense "structurally" is hard for me to escape from. I also noticed that when I exercise I do find some relief in the low back tightness, almost reinforcing that the stiff low back is from lack of movement.

If anyone has thoughts or experiences with this it would be awesome to hear! Really need some support in convincing my mind that the stiffness is TMS and not a result for lack of activity.

eskimoeskimo likes this.
  2. Grimbo

Grimbo Newcomer

Unless you can get away from the idea that your work situation is creating/agitating the pain, rather than it being a psychological problem, then I doubt you'll heal.
    No matter how gruelling the work, studies have shown that people with no access to a proper healthcare system don't really get back pain, fibromyalgia, carpel tunnel, sciatica etc...

3. elizabethswan

elizabethswan New Member

Definitely know that I need to fully accept the diagnosis to heal. I wasn't seeing a lot of "tight low back" posting on here so just wanted to see if anyone had that experience and could share some insights and words of encouragement.

eskimoeskimo likes this.
  4. Grimbo

Grimbo Newcomer

RSI is a bit of a myth imo. When I got sensations it came in the form of tight or clenched lower back/buttock muscles & horrendous pain. At times people stared at me in the street when I hobbled by. I had this for about 4 years. I was lucky I feel, as I got the TMS theory quite quickly after hearing about Saint Sarnos - this commitment has really helped my in the past.
    Of course people hunched in an awkward position for 3 hrs will cause stiffness when you stop... but that goes in an hour. Drs and physiotherapists constantly tell us "be careful, the back is really fragile!". It's bullshit mythology.
    I eventually got back to exercising even though I would do sit ups etc whilst crying like a baby - it was painful but with each rep I had to remind myself that I couldn't injure myself. Think psychological not physical