1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Stenosis MRI 2+ years ago and pain ever since

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jeffrey W, May 11, 2023.

1. Jeffrey W

Jeffrey W Newcomer

I just finished reading Day 0, and starting with the journalling for Day 1 tomorrow. I used to be a big hiker, walker, dancer and just bounced around and I'm talking 3 years ago. I just turned 66. An MRI in April of '21 revealed 2 types of stenosis in my lumbar spine and a narrowing of my lower spinal column. I has a 2nd MRI as they saw a lesion on the edge which ended out being nothing. It stressed me out though. And I was stressed to start with but excited to find out what was going on. I was having a moving pain, numbness and tingling in my lower left leg. After the MRI's I started physical therapy, pilates, and a posture coach. It did get better but only marginally. Overall the pain got worse as soon as I stopped those things. Walking could last about 10 minutes and then the pain got bad. Something throbbing to a degree where it din't chill til I laid down, or to when I woke up in the morning. Another troubling spot was standing which often led to tingling, numbness and more within 2 to 3 minutes.

After reading Day 0, I've got myself 90% there that this is psychologically based. Just that thought and dropping that thought into my heart space has made me happier and I moved better today! I've very excited to start the journal and continue this program.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

What a nice way to say this, @Jeffrey W! Welcome to the forum and the SEP and be sure to reach out with questions or for support.

Don't be alarmed if the "symptom imperative" tries to trip you up as you continue to feel better - just remember that this is your TMS brain which would prefer you to be fearful and anxious. You can simply reassure it that you're perfectly safe and that the symptoms aren't necessary :cool:

~Jan