1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Staying on medications/supplements while addressing tms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Springfevah, May 23, 2016.

1. Springfevah

Springfevah New Member

hi there,

I know noone can give me medical advice but I wonder if it is "ok" to continue a protocol (medication and supplements) while using Sarno's tms techniques, or does that tell my brain I still think it is a physical issue only?

I have been recovering from Lyme (which seems to be possibly one of the newest issues replacing ulcers) and while I believe the Lyme itself is no longer active (and yes, I really do think it was a wake up call to address repressed emotions) I have been addressing some seeming thyroid and adrenals issues it caused. I feel that a lot if not all of my pain issues are tms and am working on that. I just wonder if I can still eradicate these symptoms if I keep treating simultaneously with meds/supplements.

Thanks so much. This site, the volunteer therapists, all of you and those running it are incredible to offer this.

Cheers,
    Tanya

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Tanya,

I second the gratitude you offer to good people who have invested their hopes, dreams and time into this. Without them we'd all be sunk.

I'm still taking some meds at a very low dose. I ease back on dosage when I feel I have established at a new level of improvement. Some people may prefer a gung-ho approach but I like to go gently.

I believe the two protocols can coexist for a while especially if you are sincere in your tms healing. I'd suggest avoiding too many *shoulds* particularly in the early days as this can lead to unnecessary pressure and frustration.

There's no timeline and no right or wrong way. Feel through what's right for you however do keep returning to basics. Healing is cyclic so it can feel like you're going nowhere but really you are.

I hope other people chime in with their experiences.

My best to you x

mike2014 likes this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Tanya,

I believe it's possible to be taking medication and supplements and still make progress on your TMS. However, I think it involves being very clear about your intention with the meds/supplements. If you are taking them to address symptoms of TMS like pain or fatigue, then I believe this is OK. But if your intention in taking them is to treat the underlying cause of your symptoms, then that would be at odds with your belief that your symptoms are due to TMS, and would undermine your progress. It can be a difficult line to walk and requires honesty and clarity about the true intention.

I know some people disagree with this, but I was able to make progress and recover from my pain syndromes while still taking some medication. I have not had as much success on the TMS equivalents of insomnia and depression, though.

Best wishes....

Misha, mike2014 and plum like this.
  4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I feel I need to get back on meds...I can not live like this anymore I tried the tms approach and will continue but I need relief asap

5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I have freshly read your story and think you are showing remarkable spirit in the face of hugely challenging experiences. Let's be honest, even a saint would lose their serenity if they had to endure such things.

Speaking from personal experience I have found it best and most productive to fuse any and all healing paths with the intention of teasing out elements as time passes and improvements are consistently made. I don't think either/or (conventional/tms) thinking helps especially when we are in a funk. I am 100% sure everyone on this forum feels dejected at some point and when you feel like that bouncy enthusiastic types can be annoying particularly when they happily suggest you keep doing what isn't working. So don't. If you need to take meds to bridge this then take them. There is no shame in that. Give yourself a break from it all. Rest. Sleep. And when you feel up to it, enter the tms ring for the next round.

I am mindful that what I say next may fall into the category of bouncy and annoying but here goes anyway. TMS healing is actually something of a misnomer. I have come to the realisation that it is a lifestyle. In a similar fashion to gym bunnies who renounce all kind of bad-for-you-foods, we are electing to give up bad-for-you thinking. Life is not crap. Awful things happen but really lovely things do too. Life is a gift. If there is a key to healing then I am pretty sure it revolves heavily around cultivating plenty of bliss, joy, peace and equanimity.

Take care sweetheart.

6. Boston Redsox

God Bless for your kind thoughts....I am thankful everyday believe me, that I can get up smell the air enjoy a hot shower a cup a coffee go for a run ( when I can) excercise .. But most of the day I live with discomfort ...sleepless nights and very uncomfortable days. This is where the quality of life thought re-enters my mind...
    When I was taking meds life was not so hard to endure , call it a cop out or whatever ..tms healing can age a person to death .

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    plum likes this.
  7. Ines

Ines Well known member

Wow Plum and Ellen. You too amaze me. You give such great advice to everyone's questions. I learn so much.
    I just wanted to add that if you need medication I think it's important to not beat yourself up about it. I'm making progress but I still need pain meds, I'm still on propanolol and I still take anti-depressants when I get anxiety. I'm not strong enough yet to not use it.
    Plum is right on when she says we all agreed upon a lifestyle change. It has no time limit and no right or wrong way. I'm hoping that with this new way of thinking and being mindful throughout the day will decrease the need for the meds and one day I can wean myself off.
    Thank you for your questions and thank you to everyone who replied. Great question. : )

Ellen and plum like this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Ines, thanks so much for those kind words. I love reading Ellen's posts, they leave me feeling touched by kindness. She is such a relaxed, warm soul. And thank you for adding your thoughts here and elsewhere, you too possess a lovely openness and compassion that enriches the forum.

Ines likes this.
  9. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

How are you today sweetheart?

10. Boston Redsox

11. Springfevah

Springfevah New Member

Thank you so much, Plum, Ellen and everyone.
    I have found myself putting a lot of pressure on myself with the tms practices and doing them "right" while still supporting my body in other ways--including thyroid support. Your words ease some of that pressure and I thank you for that. It is relief to hear others say that it doesn't have to be all or none--I do believe my emotions have created illness in my body but feel that addressing these as the root cause does not mean I have to rule out some support via meds and supplements. It is all a bit tough to navigate.
    The journalling seems to have brought about a deep funk the last few days, so reading your comments is helpful.
    Warmly,
    Tanya

plum and Boston Redsox like this.