1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Starting to see the light

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Reddi2bbetter, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Reddi2bbetter

Reddi2bbetter New Member

I came across this site after reading Dr. Santos book and googling in TMS. I just finished the reading for day three. My pain started in October when I was surfing a lot in Hawaii. I assumed it was an overuse injury. I had pain radiating down my lower back and hamstrings, as well as pulsing in my left shin. After going to numerous health providers, such as chiropractors, acupuncturist, my family physician, a neurologist, osteopaths , two physical therapists, masseuses, I started doing Internet research. In one blog about chronic pain, they mentioned Dr. Sarno's book. MRIs, ultrasounds and x-rays just showed that I had mild bone spurs and Osteoarthritis consistent with my age, nothing too bad. Yet I couldn't sit for long, and lying in bed at night was torture. I often only get 3 to 6 hours of sleep a night with level 8 pain. I got to the point where I felt disabled and depressed. I limited my physical activity. I love to surf and mountain bike, but I mainly just walked and did tai chi. Since reading this book, I have excepted that I have TMS. I have resumed surfing, which has been great. I am trying to let go of my fear of doing more damage to my body. I'm so glad that there is a resource like this. Let me know if anyone has any advice and recommendations.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Reddi2bbetter. Welcome to the TMSWiki healing club. You have learned that your pains are not structural and that you have TMS.
    Don't let that throw you. Be glad you learned about Dr. Sarno and TMS. It's great that you are already surfing again. Pretty soon, you'll be mountain biking again. Just don't worry that exercise will damage your body. On the contrary, it will help it heal. You can get inspiration about that by reading Steve Ozanich's book, The Great Pain Deception. He tells how believing 100 percent in TMS and continuing to play golf despite the pain he felt led to him healing.

Steve and I and thousands of others have healed from TMS pain by discovering the emotional causes of it. His pain came from anger after a surgeon almost killed his wife in an operation by not following through afterward. I healed by realizing I had been repressing years of feelings of abandonment and insecurity after my parents divorced when I was seven.

The Structured Education Program will help you to discover your repressed emotions and/or a perfectionist-goodist personality. I found that journaling was very helpful in learning the psychological causes of my severe back pain. I was able to forgive my parents and that led to me healing.

Read the success stories and watch videos on this web site and on Youtube to learn more about how TMS works and how it heals us.

Enjoy the surfing. Enjoy every part of every day. Live in the present and not in the past.

Read about deep breathing. It has a profound calming effect. And laugh. I find that laughing makes me forget any problems.