1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Starting to despise my unconscious mind

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by James59, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I've tried numerous approaches to dealing with my subC. I believe that it thought it had my best interests at heart in keeping me from feeling painful emotions. However, that makes me angry because I wasn't given a choice in that scenario. I've tried embracing it as if it's a child, but that didn't lead to abatement of pain for me.

Instead, I seem to have most success with the direct approach. "Get the hell out of my ________(back, head, feet etc.)" I then tell it that I'm capable of dealing with the feelings.
    [The frustrating part for me is that I rarely know what I'm stressing over. However, as far as pain relief goes, it often doesn't matter whether or not I can identify the issue.]
    Finally, so that I don't get in a feedback loop fearing even more pain, I challenge my subC to "bring it on."

I'm a big believer in trying numerous approaches until you find something that works. Hope you find a tool that works for you, James.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and James59 like this.
  2. jim206

jim206 New Member

I am in the same boat. If you promise to hang in there until tomorrow I will do the same, do not give up

James59 likes this.
  3. Lori

Lori Well known member

We need to learn to LOVE ourselves. Sadly, we are not taught to do this.
    That includes our unconscious mind. It is part of us. It's doing the best it can.
    When I catch myself being mad at any part of me, I correct my thinking, and accept and love it. ALL OF IT. Very important. :)

Ellen and James59 like this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

- Excellent James59

James59 likes this.
  5. jim206

jim206 New Member

Thank-you so much. I have been doing what you suggesting and it is working! Pain free today,

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

What a great paragraph. We all come to TMS through our own individual perspective and history, which shapes how we view our unconscious and the role it plays in our symptoms. The key to recovery, which I have repeated elsewhere, is to identify what works best for you, and to continue doing it. Precision & consistent intent. I love that phrase!

Personally, I don't feel that my unconscious was being friendly in protecting me from my emotions, however, I now view my symptoms, when they pop up, as a friendly reminder that I need to think psychologically. Our unconscious is trying to tell us something by creating these symptoms. We simply need to listen to what it is trying to say.

James59 likes this.
  7. jim206

jim206 New Member

Still doing well and reading your post several times each day. I have hope now.

G.R., Stella, Ellen and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dear Lianne

Dear Lianne Peer Supporter

James 59 - Wow! Your insight about how the subconscious is understanding everything as happening "NOW" makes much sense to me. There is an epiphany here for me, too. Yes, if we accumulate all of these past perceived traumas and sorrows and something does happen NOW to trigger the past trauma, then the subconscious mind would go into a "let's protect the organism mode" thus triggering pain in order to cover the emotional sorrow, anger, rage - whatever the threatening emotion that needs to be covered. This concept that you posit here is very similar to that of Dr. Neale Donald Walsh who wrote the trilogy of Conversations With God books, along with another title, When Everything Changes, Change Everything. Dr. Walsh writes about how a current event triggers the subconscious memory, thereby activating a distorted response to an otherwise benign event.

So, being a handwriting analyst myself and combining the theories of these wonderful philosophers/writers, then perhaps we are doing ourselves a disservice by writing journals about all of the past upsets in our lives - maybe we are inadvertently re-activating the experience in the "now" thereby causing the subconscious mind to re-experience in the "now" the feelings of the past. Maybe we should be writing journals about the "new future self" that we would like to experience in the now. Maybe the trick for how to do this is to "feel" our way into how it might be to be moving flexibly and pain free. Perhaps our journals should be moving forward in the now - not backward to another set of upsets that re-create new disappointments and heartaches to be felt in the future. Sorry to get so esoteric here and to approach the problem from such a metaphysical standpoint but I think you honed in on something here, James 59.

Do any of the good physicians or psychiatrists affiliated here with TMS support offer programs whereby the journaling is focussed on positive affirmations and self-forgiveness and gratitude for what is? Just wondering.

I think I might take this approach myself. What do others think? Have any of you tried that as a twist?

yb44, G.R. and James59 like this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I guess we should be kind to our unconscious. It's the only one we've got.
    And it means well. It appears to be a blessing in disguise.

10. James59

James59 Well known member

Lianne, I too have wondered whether digging up old hurts is helpful or not. I was raised in a metaphysical oriented church, and was always taught that focusing on the positive - specifically God's care and provision - would bring good things into my life. That approach has served me well for everything in my life except my health, which for some reason has consistently and stubbornly resisted any positive messages. That has been a huge disappointment to say the least. Knowledge of TMS has given me a new perspective, but I have yet to see any benefits from that knowledge.

11. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Lianne,
    I do think there are a lot of events, experiences... that trigger some unconscious event as if it is happening now and this brings imbalance to
    the autonomic nervous system. I just listened to one of my favorite health advocates, Dr. Andrew Weil. He has a audio tape called Breathe
    and it is about the autonomic nervous system. He explains that if you do breathe work every day which is deep breathing the autonomic
    nervous system starts to get into balance. It takes time but he feels this is at the root of many medical problems such digestive problems,
    heart palpitations...

I have started deep breathing using his tapes and I have found it to significantly help. I just started this past Sunday. I have figured out
    that if I do have pain while I am sitting or sleeping; I can do the deep breathing the pain goes slowly. It surely has empowered me.

Now when I am walking and get the pain, I have not been able to get the pain to go.

I do realize that some of the pain is a conditional response or may have a root cause. I not sure what you do when you find the root
    cause. For me, I think mine is empty nest syndrome and adjusting to a new lifestyle. I cannot change these things and I am learning
    to understand this is not easy for me but I do believe your pain can go in spite of the changes in life. What do some of you think?

12. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

James59,
    I had a very similar experience regarding the use of positive affirmations--they worked on everything except my health issues. Now that I know about TMS, I understand why. TMS is due to repressed emotions and emotional conflict, not negative thinking. In my experience, to heal from TMS one must deal with the emotional issues. There appear to be some people who are cured by knowledge of TMS and acceptance of the diagnosis, but they are in the minority. I've had to do the very hard work of looking at my emotional baggage and sorting through it before I could sustain positive health benefits. Jounalling has been a great tool for this. It's been very difficult, but absolutely worth it. To counter all the negative emotional stuff in my journal, I started a separate journal where I write down positive things from my day. There is research in the field of positive psychology that doing this simple task on a regular basis can help teach the conscious brain to take notice of positive experiences and, therefore, help one become more positive. However, this is training for the conscious brain and will not heal TMS which is caused by the unconscious brain.

Hoping you see some benefits from your TMS knowledge soon.

hecate105, James59 and yb44 like this.
  13. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

You make a good distinction here between the conscious and unconscious brain. I hadn't thought of that.

jim206 likes this.
  14. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I veer around from hating what has been done to me in the past, resentment of those who should of looked after me, and anger and shame at myself for putting myself in this position. To have suffered so much - and now be able to end/reduce the pain so easily (I say easily - but have to do 2 hrs a day TMS work to stay healthy - but compared to last 20 odd years!!!) seems like monumental stupidity on my part. But then I veer the other way and douse myself in self-compassion. What has happened has happened. It is what happens NOW that's important - so I keep reading 'Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. I need to live in the moment now - I deal with the past when I do TMS work - but then leave it be. I need to make the moment I am in meaningful, relevant and pleasant - I need to be HAPPY!

jim206 and Ellen like this.
  15. jim206

jim206 New Member

Just what I needed to hear! I have been missing the fact that emotional conflict is tantamount to my TMS pain. This is the missing piece. Thank- you.

16. jim206

jim206 New Member

Emotional conflict is the missing piece for me. I never saw that before. Thank-you. Bless you.