1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Starting the journey

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Sparky, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Sparky

Sparky Newcomer

I've read the Mind Body Connection. It makes good sense, and is very logically laid out. I *think* I believe it :)

I've had years of TMJ, chronic digestive problems and stomach pain, and miscellaneous joint aches. All of this fits the TMS pattern to a T.

I'm also a very driven person that doesn't like to lose, is very conscientious, competitive, etc. - In other words I fit the archetype.

At the the same time I don't feel like I have a ton of buried trauma or rage - I've had a good life without a lot of issues. So I guess I will have to dig!

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sparky,

TMS is largely caused by the day-to-day activity of the personality, more than past experiences. This was the finding of Dr. Sarno in reviewing his patient records, as described in The Divided Mind. One way to access this kind of inner pressure is to observe your thinking patterns, and the way you treat yourself. Is there Inner Critic activity? Pushing yourself? You already know about the competitiveness, and conscientiousness. Imagine how your Inner Child feels in all these inner relationships. The past is often instructive about how we learn these present day patterns, so this is helpful too.

I hope this helps.

Andy B

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sparky. I agree with Andy that your symptoms may not be caused by past repressed emotions, but do go ahead and journal about them. It may very well be that your pains are because of your perfectionist personality, driving yourself too hard, and expecting too much of yourself. Being a driven person and very competitive puts a lot of pressure on yourself. You don't need to stop being that kind of person; just try to modify those character traits.