1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 32 Starting surfing

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by douggie, Dec 30, 2016.

1. douggie

douggie Peer Supporter

When was the last time you made a mistake? How did it make you FEEL?

So I'm learning to surf now, and it's difficult because there are so many people that are really good surfing in the same spots. We are all competing for the same waves.

Yesterday, I unknowingly got on the same wave as someone else (they had priority on the wave). I freaked out, and just bailed off my board-I think he ended up running into my board based on my stomp pad getting ripped.

I felt guilty because I was a nuisance to someone else, and created a potentially dangerous situation.

I have to keep telling myself when I'm out there, that everyone had a time when they were learning. And I just need to push through mine. I think that my people pleaser and perfectionist mentality makes it really uncomfortable because I look awkward and I'm taking up space on the way if the other people who are better than I could ride. I need to continue to tell myself that it's OK, And that it's OK to be aggressive in catching waves, even as a beginning, because that's how I'm going to progress

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi douggie,
    This is great material with which to ask yourself the "Sarno Question:" How does my Inner Child feel in relationship to the messages about pleasing people and being perfect and not taking up space? Just imagining the rage or hurt, or _____ is enough to explain your symptoms' true cause.
    Andy B

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, douggie. It's great that you are learning to surf. Don't feel like you are not exactly a champion. You might like to know that by far the most the surfers in those old surfing movies did not know how to surf. The cameras made it look like they were in those amazing dives, but they were actually on a sandy beach and not on a surfboard at all.