1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Starting Over

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by luketbrown, Mar 28, 2016.

1. luketbrown

luketbrown New Member

I have suffered from on and off Back Pain for close to 20 years, beginning first when I was 17. I was athletic and would bulldoze through sporting challenges with ease. I played baseball at a high level and studied Japanese martial arts.

What began as pain that I could ignore or knew would go away in a day or two, very slowly got worse and lasted longer with each new acute episode. By my mid twenties, I was slowing down and becoming less active as pain hung around for weeks or months. Acute attacks became more common. Into my 30s, the attacks came even more often and lasted for weeks. At 36, I hit rock bottom and had crippling pain for 6 weeks and contemplated suicide. This was only 4 months ago.

After passing through the proverbial medical system and trying every known treatment, I finally was told about the mindbody connection. I am now on board and have accepted the diagnosis of TMS straight from Dr. Rashbaum, Dr. Sarno's successor.

My childhood...it was not great. Dysfunction was the norm and it's shaped the man I have become. Short of sharing my entire story, I can merely relay that things were not so rosy and I learned how to cope at world record levels. I've powered through and reached a certain station in life, but it came at great cost - crippling pain.

Since accepting the diagnosis, I am doing better. I can honestly say that. I have had ups and downs as the pains come and go, but the overall trend line is an upward one. When I do have pain, it causes doubts and the doubts lead to fear. The fear leads to more pain and a negative cycle. I've entered myself in psychotherapy as a result. I am also one that looks for a flow chart to follow that will lead me out of pain permanently despite knowing that no such thing exists. Again, when my mind wonders, it causes doubts, fears and pain. Fortunately, I can talk myself out of it and recover again. I know that I am on the right path, but admit that I need further help from fellow sufferers. Knowing that one is not alone is a tremendous reassurance.

2. map76

map76 Peer Supporter

Hi. I can relate to a lot of what you have been through. Rest assured, you are not alone.

Mike

3. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

Hang in there buddy. you are absolutely on the right track now no doubt. patience is the key it might take long for few people (like me). but we will all get there. read all success stories and you will see yourself in each story which obviously shows you are not the only one.

4. luketbrown

luketbrown New Member

Thank you, I appreciate the reply. I have accepted everything on the intellectual level, but it is my gut that is fighting me a bit. I understand that I am in a battle of sorts and I also know that I am going to win. Patience is not one of my virtues, unfortunately. I am, however, doing better by the day.

How long was/is your recovery?

5. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

""When I do have pain, it causes doubts and the doubts lead to fear. The fear leads to more pain and a negative cycle"

yes that exactly what i feel and notice too
    getting past these periods is the hardest it seems , doesn't it?
    I think you can be proud to be where you are after all that.
    its a long road but if it improves it worth struggling forward on! and hopefully strungling will turn to enjoying a moment for once..
    karina

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the site, Luke. The fact that you've been diagnosed by Dr. Rashbaum and have already made progress shows that this must be TMS, which means that you can recover. While there are some exceptions who recover more quickly, in my experience, most people take 2 months to 2 years to recover. The key, I think is to get your "mental game" right. That's the part that you have control over, and, along with educating yourself, is the most important part of healing. Foster the parts of yourself that are positive and don't feed the parts that are negative. There is something in TMS Theory called the Rage/Soothe ratio, and you want to strengthen the parts of yourself that soothe you and release the parts that enrage you. Monitoring your emotions in a compassionate and mindful manner is crucial for this. Doing the SEP can help you as you go along.

7. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hai forest,

Your reply to luke was helpfull for me too!
    'monotoring your emotions' i did not see before: But it makes a lot of sense
    Karina

Forest likes this.