1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 5 Started running again

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by TooTallTom, Mar 15, 2016.

1. TooTallTom

TooTallTom New Member

The thing I miss most from my TMS bad back is running. I love running and have run 41 marathons so far in my life, and I'm going to run a few more. This morning I woke up stressed after going to bed stressed after a stressful day at work where some things went wrong. But this morning I got my TMS head on and said stop, you are only getting stressed because you care so much about what you do, and that is a nice trait to have. Things will work out and problems will be overcome, just don't let it hurt you. Turn that caring trait into positive energy. So then I thought I'd try running, just 1 mile, which for someone who once ran 65 miles in one go is a big change. It was ok, I could feel I maybe wasn't ready for it yet but told my mind and body to pump that back full of oxygen because this boy was going to run. Will keep the mileage low and take it steady, but I will run again because there is nothing structurally wrong with my back to stop me.

Cara, giantsfan and brendan537 like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Tom, you have the right attitude and it's great that you are back to running. It's wise to start slow, but I am confident that you will be back running marathons soon. Keep saying a positive mantra while you're running.

I like this suggestion from Carol Burnett...

Before you go to bed, write down three 'gratefuls' for the day and three 'did wells' (they can even include something as simple as doing the laundry)-the results can be amazing!”

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Wonderful to read your post, Tom. I enjoy how you recognize your patterns of pressuring yourself, and are seeing the good that is embedded in the traits that can also cause you possible suffering. And that you are directing yourself as well. I think I'll use your quote for a Self-Compassion Training that I am doing next week, if you don't mind:

you are only getting stressed because you care so much about what you do, and that is a nice trait to have. Things will work out and problems will be overcome, just don't let it hurt you.

To me it has a wonderful way of putting your arm around yourself, giving encouragement, and there is a type of affirmation embedded in it. Things will work out and problems will be overcome, just don't let it hurt you.
    This is a sort of form of "good father" message, to re-parent ourselves. Giving us something in the moment that is supportive and wise, and guiding, like a good father. Or I have a friend that would call that kind of voice the voice of Inner Guidance.

It is the felt tone of the message overall that really feels good to hear.

Thank you.

Andy B

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  4. TooTallTom

TooTallTom New Member

Thanks both for another boost with your messages and yes, please feel free to use any quotes. :)