1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 start of a new journey?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by blake, Jun 15, 2014.

1. blake

blake Well known member

Hi,
    I've had chronic neck pain for close to 5 years now, apparently due to osteoarthritis. Medication, physiotherapy, exercises of all kinds have had zero impact on the neck. I've had to stop doing martial arts and strength training due to the pain. I also only work part time now. Since reading about tms last week, I've started running again. I still have pain, but the exercise definitely did not make it worse.

Looking forward to seeing where I go from here.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome aboard Blake, you are doing great with your getting back to living attitude. Remember to feel your feelings and not to focus on any structeral causes ok. Like if the pain arises -- right then think about your current stressors, then just feel the feelings you have with them and then after 5 or ten minutes of this try to get your mind and thoughts on something great ok,
    Bless you

3. blake

blake Well known member

I've been doing my best to get my mind around the idea that my problem is psychosomatic. It is both a relief and a source of embarrassment for me. I do notice more changes in the pain when I start to think about psychological causes, but not really a reduction.
    I was just remembering that the chronic pain started at around the time I resolved my issues around depression. It's starting to feel like a continuum e.g. the repressed anger (boy, I have lots of that!) was causing me to be depressed and after it changed into physical pain. Does that make sense?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

That makes total sense, Blake. You're definitely on the right track...

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yep, when you got rid of the Depression you didn't get rid of the tms -- so it went to your body, just do the work and ask lots of questions. You will do great, bless you

6. blake

blake Well known member

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am hardly ever on the receiving end of advice and support. This feels really nice, actually.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Blake.
    You're doing the right thing by running again. Steve Ozanich cured himself of 25 years of back and leg pain through TMS belief and going ahead and walking and playing golf, swinging the clubs. His book The Great Pain Deception tells how he did it and is a real inspiration.