1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Spondololysthesis

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by cwalker, Oct 27, 2015.

1. cwalker

cwalker New Member

Does anyone in the forum have anything to say about spondololysthesis? Even Sarno says "With the exception of spondololysthesis...every other back disorder cannot generate pain"
    Please someone tell me that their grade 1 spondololysthesis has been cured by the Sarno method.

I saw on my MRI that I have been diagnosed with grade one spondololysthesis. I have been a dancer, organic gardener and fixer of this 100 year-old money pit house for over 25 years. I do electrical, plumbing, tiling, drywall, you name it. I am an artist and approach this house with an artist's eye and the MRI shows that I have pretty much tore up my spine in the process. The MRI analyst actually said my spine looks like that of a veteran farmworker! I take no drugs but I am in considerable pain and I have many sleepless nights from the stabbing discomfort and spasms.
    I feel so stupid to have destroyed my body. At the age of 58 I am compelled to start using a cane to walk. I am at the point where I would seriously consider surgery to just get me walking again. I actually cannot walk without excruciating pain like knives and ice picks.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I also found this at
    http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6473

Spondylolisthesis can be a scary diagnosis, but Dr. Sarno says that he believes it is a manifestation of TMS. On page 74 of MBP Sarno writes “The cause of the condition is mysterious, but in my experience the disorder is painless...I have yet to see someone with spondylolisthesis who did not have TMS.” There are more quotes and information about Spondylolisthesis on the TMSWiki Specific Symptom and Diagnoses page .

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, cwalker. The other good people in this TMS community have given you some excellent replies about spondy. I would believe Dr. Sarno that your spondy is caused by TMS and even if an MRI indicates spinal problems, don't let that override a belief in TMS causing your pain. Pain is often cured by mind over matter, and TMS is the best of MindBody healing. Stick with the SEP program and keep us posted about your progress.

5. cwalker

cwalker New Member

I have been trying to mediate these TMS symptoms for two years and I am so ready to give up. I almost wish there was a TMS crisis center where one could go and actually stay for a week or two and get daily guidance. I live in a very backwards little town and the first thing folks do when in pain is get drugs or get cut. On every main thoroughfare of this city there is a big sign for knee replacement, hip surgery, back surgery etc...It's a huge business here. My sister-in-law has been cut three times: both knees and radical spine surgery where they cut her from both the front and the back...and now complains of severe hip pain. My sister has been cut and her son was cut at the age of 22. My other sister has chronic IBS and my brother a bleeding ulcer.

There seems to be NO therapists here that are even somewhat aware of psychosomatic disorders. The psychologist I saw here just did not do anything. So expensive. Then the Dr. I saw said I must live in eternal pain and weakness.
    I have set up an appointment with David Schechter in LA a seven hour drive. But as far as counseling goes and/or guidance I must drive to San Francisco and spend oodles of cash. I am very careful with money because I have had to retire because of the severe pain. Now the pain has amplified with retirement!
    Thank you for this dialog. I have renewed faith that TMS is the source of this pain. I will try to hang in there and keep doing this work I just need help I think.

6. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

hi cwalker..... hope you have some relief...please take a read of my story! ive had spondo forever! and deep down know and truly believe I'm a TMSer. Accepting TMS in the 90's gave me 10 years of minimal pain and being fully active, but I somehow forgot and believed medical science and its evidence (Xrays, MRIs etc). 3 surgeries later no change in pain but recently rediscovered TMS and this site and forums and started SEP and my pain is way less! as Sarno said" never met a spondo patient who didn't have TMS", that was always an epiphany to me....I'm following through on new CT Scan ansd MRI before new surgeon consult, but all I really want to know is "show me the neurological impingement because I don't care about the structure appearance (scoliosis is so bad also). Being in Calgary Canada there is no TMS docs or therapists but definitely the MindBody community is rising...B

7. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

I'm with you cwalker. Same diagnosis but with some other complications. Still, this was only seen on the most recent of the three MRI's I've had during five years 0f pain and it is only grade one. I guess it could be pressing on nerves but why wasn't it reported years ago?