1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Spoke to second non TMS therapist about TMS.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Joey2276, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Joey2276

Joey2276 Peer Supporter

SO yesterday I spoke to a therapist at a bar at new years eve and was telling her about my TMS story; and like another therapist a few months ago asked her opinion on TMS; did she think it made sense etc, mind causing blood flow problems, other illness symptoms caused by uncsoncious etc; and she said 100% then 1000% she absolutely thought it made perfect sense. I got a similar reaction from a PhD therapist who I know from a few months ago who knew nothing of TMS but was totally behind the concept after I loaned her The Divided Mind.

Forest likes this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

That's great Joey, it's always good when you meet people who digest the information and embrace it without any hostility. It's not always common. But I guess she was sold after she read the good Drs masterpiece.

3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I don't understand why more of the medical field don't except this concept ....I live in Boston the hospital capital of the US and know one even is aware of Dr Sarno work...and I have been to a few of these hospitals!

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

There's no money in it.

mdh157 likes this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I was speaking to psychologist friend the other day and we were discussing why Dr. Sarno's work was not accepted more in the medical field.

She said yeah, the more attuned doctors will tell you that your idiopathic pain "is all in your head," but then they
    1)give you no techniques except 'relax' (as if Sarno's work doesn't even exist)
    2) tend to give you a vague feeling its your fault (!)
    And this may be because they feel guilty and helpless, so they unconsciously blame.

This level of ignorance is sad on so many levels.

That said, two physicians I have gone into depth with re Sarno's work were quite open to Sarno and told me they would investigate. And so is my psychologist friend, another counselor friend and a psychiatrist friend. These are all practitioners who have seen me recover, and are blown away! They all knew I was headed for surgery and could hardly walk.

Forest likes this.
  6. Boston Redsox

I beg to differ, call one of the tms doctors or therapist on this list see what they are charging for a session, its incredible amount,and I am all for capitalism . though they give us a incredible service for the ones who can afford it, but for those who can't it hard to get needed medical advice other than there pcp who accepts health insurance.

Markus likes this.
  7. Tennis Tom

To do a proper TMS evaluation takes from one to two hours, this is why it seems to cost so much to be treated by a TMS doc. Your average time with a regular doc is 15 minutes or less. TMS patients make up a very small percentage of any TMS docs work-load because very few people want to hear "It's all in your head."--or that's what they think they are being told, and move onto an assembly line doc who will treat them allopathicaly.

8. Boston Redsox

I guess your right regarding the time they spend with you, my pcp never rushes me out of the office he has spent over 45 min with me on occasion because he knows what I am going threw and helps me anyway I can he did tell my pain was a deeper problem and that therapy and mediation would help me....I showed him the works of dr Sarno and agreed with his findings. But was very skeptical on the dr that practice tms. He said that dr Sarno did not discover anything new that the medical community as always known about his theory . Anyway I guess my beef his that there is not many tms doctors in the Boston area and the one I did see was a quack and a half so I left.

9. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

But how much do rotator cuff surgery or spinal fusion operations cost? Maybe $20 grand a pop? Lot cheaper to pay the TMS doctor to do an evaluation instead of spending 12-15 months recovering from surgery and going to PT. Not nearly as painful either.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Tennis Tom likes this.
  10. Boston Redsox

I agree Bruce you are right….and yes that operation would cost that, but your health ins would pay for that?

11. blake

blake Well known member

The feeling I've always had about doctors is that they intuitively know many of our ailments are psychosomatic or stress related, but their training doesn't allow them to go down that road.
    It's just a hunch I have.

Shirley, Forest, BruceMC and 3 others like this.
  12. Boston Redsox

To me self talk and speaking with a Therpist helps more than anything for me along with mindful meditation

Forest likes this.
  13. Tennis Tom

Could you please PM me this doc's name so I can quit referring forum members to him.

Regarding doc's and psychsomatic/TMS dis-ease, every doc's office knows the regulars camping out in their waiting rooms--they are the "mentals". But they're good customers--ka-ching, ka-ching--keep them co-pays, insurance and medicare payments coming, they pay the light bills and overhead. Give 'em an RX for Prozac or Celexa and send them on their merry-miserable way.

The insurance system keeps many trapped in the allopathic medical/pharmacal/industrial complex by not paying for TMS docs. I'm surprised how many sufferers won't pay cash out of pocket to get a DX from a TMS doc because they are stuck in their "health" plans. Time to open the wallet and maybe travel some distance to see a TMS doc.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Forest likes this.
  14. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

My sis graduated from a top 5 medical school in the UK and I've been trying to convey the concept to her.
    She kinda says yeah it makes sense but then says doctors know already a lot of stuff is ''all in the head''.
    The depth of knowledge they need to cover about the human body in 5 years is intense but the psychology to understand Sarnos hypothesis is pretty minimal Vs potential usefulness.
    Interestingly the medical profession will likely be unrecognisable in 30 years with computer diagnosticians.
    Hopefully Doctors use this tech to do the heavy duty work while they concentrate on the person with the disease and educating them on how powerful their emotional response to stressors can be.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ibms-watson-may-soon-be-the-best-doctor-in-the-world-2014-4?IR=T

On the ''pain is in the brain'' notion touted by some physicians. Yes and No.
    I think they mean this concept literally though and to describe hypochondriacs. most Doctors assume that some pain is just in the brain and the patient 'thinks' the pain is real.
    This is hugely disconcerting for people like me who know the pain is real and muscle knots etc are there to demonstrate that.
    It undermines the Dr/patient relationship and causes further physical pain.

The real innovation or revolution in thought is the notion that the brain can induce a physical 'symptom'. If this is demonstrated with clinical evidence the flood gates will be opened. Sadly,people(myself included) have been weaned on Pharmacological medicines for relief of symptoms. personally I was on Butrans which is like Fentanyl (opioid) for three months at my lowest ebb and decided enough was enough. something else had to be causing this pain.
    Its tragic that many in pain are on these types of medications as they are a nightmare to come off!

someone mentioned Boston having no mention of Mindbody medicine
    http://www.massgeneral.org/bhi/

There is a general awareness creeping into medicine of the power of the mind and that some doctors have neglected their patients needs/concerns.

Forest and Tennis Tom like this.
  15. Boston Redsox

I did travel and open my wallet to a tms doctor which I found to be a quack he spent a 1.5 with me did the text book check up and charged me $$$$ and said ya you have tms it was a joke

16. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree. Dr. Sarno started out as a family physician and I bet that many such doctors, around the world, have an intuitive sense of when they are seeing a patient with a mindbody condition. I've definitely spoken to a couple of internists who immediately knew what was going on with me. It's just that the medical model doesn't allow them the time to give a TMS style of treatment, which can take many hours. Because there are big expenses to running a medical office, if they don't make the "right" decisions, it's not only that they might make less money - in fact they could lose money (rent, staff, etc.).
    I agree. I've met a great deal of TMS doctors and while they might have bad days or not give people exactly what they want, I have great admiration for the sacrifices so many of them make. It would be far easier for them to exclusively be conventional doctors.
    Exactly. There are some really tremendous primary care providers out there. I don't know anyone whom I would consider a saint, so when I see someone who does a good job that they can be proud of, I have great respect for them.

North Star likes this.
  17. Tennis Tom

I'm thoroughly perplexed by this, you're at a TMS forum, a TMS doc spends 1.5 hours with you, does palpation for the TMS tender points I assume, says you have TMS and you say he's a quack and it was a joke. I wish that was the answer I came home with when I saw a TMS doc, I would have been tickled pink.

BR, can you please explain what was the outcome you were hoping for? How much did you pay? From what you wrote, and my understanding of TMS diagnostic visits, that's what they are like. Can you explain in more detail why you feel he was a "quack" and how an hour and a half exam was a "joke".

Thanks

Shirley likes this.
  18. sonia

sonia New Member

I am new to this site and also live in Boston area. I was looking at the tms practitioner list in this area and saw only one in baptist hospital. Is this the doctor you are referring to?

19. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

20. sonia

sonia New Member