1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Spine pain question!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by interstellar, Dec 10, 2014.

1. interstellar

interstellar Peer Supporter

Well, I could probably ask a million questions at this point, but ill go with the one thats really bothering me the most. I am wondering if my type of pain in consistent with other people's description of their back pain...I had a weird treatment done by a chiropractor called flexion distraction in which he basically stretched my spine over multiple sessions to "make room for my disc to heal." Before this treatment my pain was primarily in the SI joint area as well the erector muscle above it. After this treatment and him telling me not to bend, twist, sit or lift my pain started to spread into my spine where he was "stretching." At first I thought it was just a little sore from the stretching of the spine but eventually the pain became unbearable and I could barely move around. Its been roughly 6 months since I stopped this treatment and through an amazing physical therapist I have reduced the pain by roughly 50% or so. But I had hit a wall with PT as well, so I looked for other answers. Luckily I found Dr Sarno's books and they have already helped tremendously. Im moving around much better after just two weeks, my groin pain is much better most days, and my pelvis pain is also much better. But the pain in my spine is still there and it seems as if it has spread a little bit. What concerns me the most is the type of pain I get in my spine. I can do 20 pushups, I can do light bench presses, I can even lightly run for 5 to 10 minutes. But I can barely bend over and touch my knees with my legs straight. When I do bend forward it almost feels like my spine is going to explode out of my back. Extreme tightness accompanied with pain. I guess im wondering if this is common among people with back pain since this pain is much different than any pain ive ever had. And I know that the type of "exploding pain" I get in my spine came while getting it stretched by the chiropractor, so I think thats why im having a hard time accepting that this pain isnt from that treatment and maybe thats why it hasnt gone away. Im hoping somebody can help shed some light on this.

2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

As the great doctor said, if one is preoccupied with the symptoms they will persists. Seems you have one foot in and one foot out of the tms diagnosis. You will stay stuck and symptoms will persists until you can fully believe it's tms. Everything you stated above is talking about your physical body. If you have tms nothing us wrong with your body it's fine. It's what going on in your mind that's not fine. I suggest you read the great pain deception in you have not. Fear of the symptoms will just perpetuate them. Let go live your life in the moment. Keep soaking in the tms knowledge and it will click when its time. Faith and perserverance go a long way in healing. Good luck

Ryan

Ellen and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. interstellar

interstellar Peer Supporter

Thank you for the response. I completely understand what your saying and I've really done my best to fully accept that this is an emotionally charged problem. I journal daily about my anger and fear, I constantly tell myself throughout the day that the pain is psychological and I've been making great improvements. I guess I'm just a little curious as to why my spine hasn't improved at all. I think my curiosity about the type of pain I'm getting and if it is typical is causing me to focus on it more. That's why I was hoping this explosion feeling in my spine was normal, so I could feel more comfortable about it also being psychological.

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Keep reading the TMS books like Ryan suggested, the answers are all in them! Be aware that the gremlin plays tricks that can make us gloss over the stuff that pertains to our particular symptom. Meditate on the books, read them word by word thoughtfully--that's where the TMS answers lie.

Dr. Sarno says TMS pain is the most excruciating he's encountered--but benign, harmless, like a cramp that won't go away. I've seen numerous mentions blaming chiroquacktic for TMS injuries. It takes a lot more trauma then a quick twist to cause real structural injury. If this were not so, given the huge numbers going to chiroquackters these days, there would be thousands of new injuries every day. Dr. Sarno espouses that the body is strong--it's the mind that's weak and susceptible to the all the money making fears that the medical/industrial/drugstore/late night TV info-mercial complex provides, creating and fueling the neurotic socio/cultural meme of urban myths and old wives tales of endless TMS injuries.