1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Spinal Stenosis

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jmacdonald720, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jmacdonald720

Jmacdonald720 Newcomer

Hey All,

I was diagnosed with severe central spinal stenosis at age 27 and told I can't do high-impact activities anymore. I love doing crossfit and don't want to quit. I am pretty sure it is TMS, but was hoping a doctor could look at my MRI to assure me that I'm not a unique situation.

Thank you,

Justin

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Justin,

Are you looking for a recommendation for a second opinion? Perhaps from a TMS doctor? The best thing we can do is suggest that you check out the list of TMS practitioners over on the wiki (which has a lot of other great resources as well: tmswiki.org). You'll probably want to see an MD who practices mind-body awareness.

Also, put "stenosis" into the keyword search box, to see what other members with this diagnosis are talking about.

Good luck!

Jan

3. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Click#7 likes this.
  4. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Fred have you ever seen anyone with chronic back pain that had a spinal fusion that eventually diagnosed with TMS heal and become pain free ?

5. FredAmir

I have not had a case like that in my practice, so cannot comment from personal experience, but this is a good to post here and see what other members say.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Click#7 likes this.
  6. FredAmir

By the way, Justin, I hope Allan Maddison's story, who was diagnosed with herniated discs and stenosis, will give you more confidence that you can recover too.

“I had been suffering with severe back pain, severe pain from sciatica (pain in the buttocks and legs) and extreme weakness in both legs. I could only walk for a short distance and then with a cane. I had been diagnosed as having spinal stenosis and in need of a laminectomy, removal of most of the back of the vertebra, to release pressure on the nerves of the spinal column on L3 and L4. I also had a herniated disc that required surgery. Fortunately, while waiting for surgery, I read Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain. This book gives one a detailed action program to follow. I recovered completely and cancelled the surgery. I still can't believe that I am now completely pain free and have all the strength back in my legs and that I can live a normal life again. I sincerely hope and pray that the word spreads about how it is possible to recover from back pain without surgery.”

Lavender likes this.
  7. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Then have you heard of any cases ?

8. Jmacdonald720

Jmacdonald720 Newcomer

Thanks for the responses! I'm more disappointed that I got an MRI before I found Dr Sarno's book. It's obvious that I have TMS as I had shoulder pain before as well and an MRI for that showed nothing. I got a cortisone shot and my body just moved the pain. I think I have a problem accepting the TMS diagnosis on a subconscious level for two reasons:

1. The neuro surgeon scared me shitless by saying I would have to quit crossfit & all high-impact activities.

2. I grew up Christian Scientist, which would basically be taking the mind body and putting a religious spin on it. Everything that Sarno says is very familiar, but it is actually scientific and sits well with my conscious mind. However, I think my sub-conscious is used to refuting these types of arguments.

Anyways, probably a bit of an over-share, but I'm really grateful for find the books and this forum.

Cheers,
    Justin

9. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Neurosurgeons have a way of scaring their patients! I see it a lot. I was also told not to do any "high impact sports" due to a herniated disc but I know how BS this is now. It is true that most cases of spinal stenosis are benign but to be sure you can consult a TMS doc.

10. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Stenosis doesn't cause pain in fact evidence leads to the opposite understanding. In BPPH I mentioned Pekka Kuittinen's 2014 study on stenosis that revealed that people with more severe stenosis walked better and had less pain than those with moderate stenosis. But of course all these studies don't mean anything because they don't consider hidden emotions, and also because Dr. Sarno proved that these things do not cause pain. So your doctor harmed you like many others do.

Be careful who you have look at your imaging, there are some who come here that still point to the structural as the cause even though they call themselves mindbody docs. But the sufferers still heal with the correct information. Be selective in belief, there are many who say they are but are not, and many that appear but who cannot. The secret of a good life is through proper discernment. What is true? What is shadow? There lies the heart.

Be of great cheer,
    SteveO