1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Speaking Up For Myself

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, May 21, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

During Saturday's TMS Call-in Discussion group we will be discussing how to speak up for yourself. The final segment of Pathways to Pain Relief discusses the story of Mr. A who has trouble articulating when he is angry. As a goodist I find this to be a very difficult thing to do, but also one of the biggest drivers of our TMS. I am curious how people learned how to speak up for themselves. Do you have any suggestions on how to speak up for yourself in a healthy manner?

As always the discussion group will start at 2 PM ET and will run until 3. More information can be found at www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Call-In_Peer_Discussion_Group.

---
    Quick connection info (for detailed instructions, click here):
    If you're connecting by phone, dial 1 646 583 7415 and when prompted enter the pin code 21558901.​
    If you're connecting via your computer (Fuze Meeting), go to ww.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/48fb7aa8/18311499 and follow the instructions from there.​

2. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Further evidence that there are no such thing as coincidences! Any chance we could have this call in an hour? I'm struggling with this very issue today and trying to figure out how to summon the courage and the best way/time to stand up for myself. It's not something I have much experience with at all but it is something I believe will be very beneficial when I can learn to do..

3. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Sounds like a great topic to me too. I'll have to wait for the audio to be posted since I'll be unavailable on Sat!

4. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Wow, couldn't we all use a tuneup on this topic?! I'd love to feel more comfortable about standing up for myself before I get truly upset. It's the aftermath of automatic guilt feelings that bothers me. Some part of me thinks I "should" be able to either endure the unendurable OR express myself with such brilliance that the other guy doesn't feel challenged but still understands my point.

Which, of course, is goofy.

5. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Sometimes I feel like speaking up but I hold back because what I say may reveal something about me that I perceive to be a bad thing, like my lack of understanding about something that I think I should know.

6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh lordy forest, do I ever need this. Speak up or go insane! And we all know the penalty of this act of self-meanness. How to keep the emotions flowing, how to generously express ourselves, how to voice our truths without crushing the other. It is dawn here and a sweet songbird sings in all his glory. Such a joyful existance. Oh, to know that splendour. I believe anger can be splendid.

7. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

How do we find the audio for these call in sessions?

8. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

9. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

I've just been thinking about this, Plum, and we do know that splendour but it's overlayered with fussing about the rest of life. Can you imagine it? Bird trying to sing while thinking about finding right sticks to build nest and "How'm I going to feed all those little mouths?" and "Hawk, hawk? Hawk! Where's that hawk?".

Bird be lucky if he could manage a squawk yet what has changed except the bird?

plum likes this.
  10. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Thanks!

11. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Everyone,​
    Here's the audio from last week. So sorry about the delay. You can also download it as an mp3 by right-clicking on this link and saving it to your computer. Enjoy!​