1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Spasms/cramping

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by mdh157, Feb 21, 2015.

1. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but has anyone experienced spasms/cramping as part of TMS? Been a rough past couple of days, not stress-wise (at least not in my conscious mind) but def symptom-wise. Have been having pain in mainly hands/feet that comes and goes but also cramping, esp in my left foot - the muscle that goes from the heel to the ball along the inside of the foot right @ the top of the arch. By no means is it disabling but it is worrying me, of course. Only happens when I am lying down, it seems. I also had a Fugax episode last night, the first since oct or nov.

The rest of the symptoms I've described before are still present, just been about the same as they have been since this whole thing started.

One day it seems as things are improving, the next that they are worsening.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe cramping and muscle spasms are from TMS. We all have good and bad days of pain and other symptoms.
    Have you had some emotional problems lately that might trigger some from the past.
    It looks to me like you have some unresolved repressed emotions. Journal about them and try to understand where
    they came from.

intense50 likes this.
  3. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Walt, I def have unresolved stuff, but this is just a change from the symptoms i have been experiencing so naturally it's driving me nuts and has me thinking the worst again. Will be journaling later today, perhaps that will help. I cannot seem to calm my SNS no matter what I do.........deep breathing, meditation, etc, nothing seems to help.

this is really testing me, and i'm not doing very well with it, which only serves to feed the fire.

4. Dahlia

Dahlia Well known member

Ohhhh, yes. Spasms and cramping. Cramping in calf & foot. Hard cramp that would launch be out of bed like a rocket in the middle of the night. Some nights I had to be sure not to try to straighten my leg, otherwise, wham.

This too shall pass.

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I've had spasms and cramps too, in the past. No more.

I've also had those times when when my nervous system is very activated and nothing works to calm me. I know how frustrating it is. The only thing that helps me through those periods is to try to stop evaluating how I'm doing, and accept where I'm at and let it be. I know it's hard to do. And then just try to distract yourself with something absorbing. I'm having to do this a lot lately, as I'm working on insomnia.

6. jtperks

jtperks Peer Supporter

These cramps you speak of, they just started for me two weeks ago. They left for a week, then they returned. I had some other weird things going on with my feet, and as soon as I decided I wasn't afraid of that symptom, the cramping started. I've been worried about the cramping, so they've hung around. All day long, my feet feel like they are about to cramp, like they are in pre-cramp mode. And then when I lay down at night, they will cramp....I figure it's just TMS finding a new spot to grab my attention for awhile.

7. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Thanks for the replies all......glad to see others are dealing with some of the same hassles and the more it leans toward benign the better life gets. For instance, so far today i've had mot much twitches and the pain has been relatively light, also hurts in one spot 1 minute and another spot the next..........surprise, surprise. I got no problem with TMS........if that is what this is, I can beat it.