1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Something that's helping me

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by WIRM, Jan 13, 2020.

1. WIRM

WIRM New Member

I believe this little 'trick/hack' is helping me so I wanted to share.

Imagine a guiding force/person that is there with you all day long. Guiding, comforting and nudging you. I imagine Jesus (even though I wouldn't describe myself as having a strong Christian faith), but it could be anyone or anything, even fictional.

1. As I go about my day, I imagine that he's there nudging and guiding me all day. Whispering advice in my ear when needed.
    I'm in a rush....."slow down"
    I'm upset....."it's okay"
    I'm pushing myself...."you have nothing to prove"
    Kids/work colleagues are stressing me...."Forgive. Patience. Breathe"
    I'm feeling tense...."relax", "breathe".
    I'm annoyed at someone...."it's okay" "forgive"
    etc etc
    Guiding me all day. A comforting, protecting friend with me all the time. Looking out for m. Helping me. Comforting me. Always there.

2. I imagine handing all my worries and anxieties over. Jesus works particularly well for this given the Bible's teachings that can be repeated. Eg: Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

3. When lying down going to sleep or beginning a meditation, I imagine him there holding me.Protecting me.

Never imagine doing something like this, or talking about it, but it appears to be helping calm my nervous system and guide me to do the things I know I should be doing.

Again, to reiterate, I don't think you need to have any particular religous beliefs to make this work for you.

MWsunin12, EileenS, BloodMoon and 3 others like this.
  2. Pietro Carloni

Pietro Carloni Peer Supporter

Hello! I share this thought with you, I who, like you, have never been a fervent believer. Talking about it with my therapist, who is an atheist, we came to the conclusion that prayer serves to limit mental activity as if embracing the irrational, like religion, can be a tool to free oneself from the tyranny of reason (which, in my case, she is extremely hyperactive)

BinLA likes this.
  3. BinLA

BinLA Peer Supporter

Just stumbled upon this post, and it's great.

I think we all have some version of this internal parent inside of us, but for some... it's stronger than others. And for all of us, whether we know it or not... at some point, we usually need to resort to something larger than ourselves.

As you stated, this certainly doesn't have to be a particular religious figure. (Though, fine if it is IMO.) There is a strong correlation between faith and recovery from psychological disorders, as uncomfortable as that may make some people. (Google it, the science is all there.)

In this case, the faith could just be elevating and trusting that internal parent, perhaps the voice of someone you know/knew or trust/trusted.

This is a really interesting post.

WIRM likes this.
  4. Sita

Sita Well known member

I think this is the "voice of God". And the negative voice is the ego. Usually, if you follow the voice of God you feel better. And you know you did the right thing. And if you follow the voice of the ego, you feel bad. In time, if you continue to follow only the voice of the ego...you lose the voice of God. You don't hear it anymore. It's a gradual process. Or it gets hard to hear it. It doesn't matter if you're religious or not. You can call the voice of God, the intuition (it's the same thing) or use some other term.

I'm a believer in God and listing to this voice is so important for me. Sometimes, when I don't hear it anymore, when life gets too busy or agitated, I just need to practice silence. I just remembered something, a small dialogue:

"What do you do in meditation?
    I talk to God.
    What do you say to God?
    Nothing, I just listen.
    What Is God saying to you?
    Nothing, he's just listing".

So beautiful!

WIRM, BloodMoon, BinLA and 1 other person like this.