1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Something Crazy..

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by shmps, Jan 29, 2015.

1. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

On my road to TMS recovery...I did something crazy today. I had a physical therapy appointment on my calendar. It was scheduled last month and I didn't want to end my 8 months of therapy relationship with my PT without showing up and letting her know why I won't be coming anymore. I know as per Sarno treatment we should stop all physical treatments and thats what I wanted to tell my PT today. So as I was explaining her that I will not be seeing her anymore, i also thought i should educate her a bit. Guess what I did ? I opened the 20/20 Dr. Sarno video on my phone and played it for her...LOL she agreed that every illness to some extent also has psychological cause too. I said for me its only mind body syndrome and we said bye :) I feel already liberated from visiting Dr's and therapists and etc etc.

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Shmps. That's great!! I had a 10 year plus relationship with my physical therapist and she had become a good friend over the years and so I completely understand what a big step this is. I still on occasion go and get a massage when I feel like I need some extra support and attention. I just approach it differently. I don't go expecting it to take the pain away but I do use it to relax my nervous system and take the edge off my stress. Its a big leap for physical therapists to agree the pain is caused for psychological reasons only. Then what would be left for them to do? Its their career. I'm not saying that is even conscious because every PT I have met has been a good person and genuinely wants to help. You're on the right track!!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

PTs and acupuncturists I've known meant well, but I found their help mainly to be placebos.
    That's not bad, but doesn't get to the real cause of the symptoms.
    One of my favorite placebos is a cup of hot milk and telling myself I'm fine.

It's great that the PTs you both know and have worked with agree with the MindBody theory.

Boston Redsox likes this.