1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Some sort of cruel joke??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by avik, Aug 29, 2016.

1. avik

avik Well known member

So I have been virtually pain-free for the past six months, as I have finally (after 15 yrs) really accepted and internalized the TMS diagnosis.

That said an incredibly ironic thing happened on Saturday:

One of my best friends called me on the verge of tears as he had experienced a terrible back spasm, when merely reaching for something in the kitchen. Hes heard me talk about Sarno and TMS quite a few times before so I proceeded to buy him Healing Back Pain and try to talk him through the whole situation. As I was coaching him through it, I felt stronger and more confident than ever even though I have had some small "TMS battles" of my own the prior two weeks, namely with a sudden TMJ and random knee pain(s). Granted, I have been dealing with an inordinate amount of stress of late.

In possibly the most brutally ironic fashion possible, late last night I get one of the worst mid-back spasms I have ever experienced and now I am in enormous pain and writing desperately on this forum, at 630 in the morning. I do rememebr thinking as I was talking to him on the phone yesterday whilst checking-in..."how ironic would it be if I got a back spasm"?? Also, ive never even gotten a back spasm before! My TMS spasm issues has always been in my neck; this whole thing is brand new!

I KNOW DEFINITIVELY that this is TMS. Ive always said to myself that TMS is very effective, but quite stupid...as it very often makes itself "too obvious".

I dont know if I really have a question here....just interested in hearing everyone's comments.
    I know I just have to journal and meditate (which ive been doing), relax and not fight it. That said, whenever I have gotten a spasm, I always had to just "ride it out".

Is it possible to "talk oneself" out of a spasm mid-way? Any thoughts/comments here are greatly appreciated.

And BTW as if the irony of the above isn't enough; someone just coincidentally responded to a post of mine from months back...which involves me talking about accepting and not fighting the pain! Id like to laugh out loud right now but I physically cant...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Balsa11 and brendan537 like this.
  2. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Peer Supporter

This happened to me twice. Both times it seemed to be related to a doctor appointment. When I began to recover from TMS I cancelled all my doctor appointments. The inner child did not want me to miss my appointment apparently because both times this happened I later realized was the date of a cancelled Dr. appointment. Maybe something similar is going on with you. Maybe your "other self" wants you to take meds or see a Dr.-- something to do with what your friend is experiencing.

Balsa11 likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

The power of suggestion. Dr. Sarno's own symptom were migraines, he was able to TMS-talk himself out of them in the aura stage.

Balsa11 likes this.
  4. avik

avik Well known member

False alarm people...it appears I am passing a Kidney Stone.

YAY!!

Balsa11 likes this.
  5. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Peer Supporter

That's great but remember...As Steve O says, Always be skeptical of anything your doctor tells you.

6. Steve J.

Steve J. Well known member

Haha no. Not quite. Especially if it's a kidney stone. There are lots of things that docs are pretty darned good at deducing/identifying. Kidney stone is one o' doze.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Balsa11 likes this.
  7. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

ouch! good luck with your kidney stone!