1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Some small successes

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stradivarius, Feb 9, 2021.

1. stradivarius

stradivarius Peer Supporter

I've been away from the forum for a while but have come back again as I unexpectedly hit upon unmistakeable evidence of a TMS problem. Back in 2013 I fully recovered from horrible insomnia using the TMS method, having read Howard Stern's article about recovering from insomnia. I had always been a very heavy sleeper and went from 2-3 hours a night to about 5 after doing the TMS thing and fully opening to and accepting lack of sleep. And then finally back to my normal 9 hours a night. I had been planning my wedding throughout this time (big stress) on top of doing Focusing which revealed a past trauma, plus falling in love for the first time with someone totally inappropriate 10 months before marriage. Not a great combo. On my wedding night having got the whole wedding thing over and done with, surprise surprise I crashed out and went back to sleeping normally again. More recently I have been having a battle with the huge beast of nerve inflammation and possible early stage Thoracic outlet disorder, which could be TMS, but then again, might not be?

I came back to the forum as another cool thing happened- I had a huge flare of the nerve inflammation at Christmas time and this was accompanied by stomach-and-spine pain on waking in the morning. I took omeprazole for a month to calm the stomach which normally works for me, but this time it didn't work which was quite scary. I then called the doc to try another type of PPI but thankfully I discovered it was TMS. I woke one morning at 6am and there was no stomach or spine pain (weird)- until I started to fall asleep again and in a state of semi-consciousness I sort of stretched my spine and boom- I had full-blown stomach-and-spine pain again. I did not consciously decide to stretch my spine - it just happened in my sleep, so I figured it must by psychosomatic and hey presto my stomach has been almost completely better for the past few weeks and no spine pain at all on waking.

So I am back on the TMS trail and hoping to make some headway with the nerve inflammation beast. I really hope it turns out to be TMS too.....

tgirl, JanAtheCPA and Cap'n Spanky like this.
  2. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Welcome back, stradivarius! And congratulations on your successes.

3. stradivarius

Thank you s much Cap'n Spanky! It's good to be back.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  4. Sita

Sita Well known member

Hi,

Do you have a link to the article? I'm interested. Thank you.

Take care.

5. stradivarius

Hi Sita,
    I had a look for the article and I couldn't find it anymore, unfortunately. However I can highly recommend The Sleep Book by Guy Meadows- it has the same approach as Dr Sarno's i.e. just accept and don't be bothered by lack of sleep and don't be bothered by the thoughts you have about not sleeping. Also there are success stories for insomnia on this forum.

hope that helps
    Stradivarius

Sita likes this.
  6. Sita

Sita Well known member

Thanks.

Unfortunately I have to be hospitalized because of prolonged lack of sleep (when the pain is too severe and I can't sleep). My case is different. I already read all the success stories about this subject and other illnesses. They are wonderful. I also read most of the books recommended here, movies, youtube channels etc. I'm quite happy now, even when in (severe) pain.

I'll read the reviews on Amazon for the book you recommended and then I'll try to find it at my library.

Thanks again. Take care.