1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Some reinforcement please

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by David B, May 27, 2023.

1. David B

David B Well known member

Hi all. You can find my full, original TMS story under my profile. To summarize many years ago, I had debilitating back pain. At my low point I told my wife if this was going to continue forever, I’d rather be dead. I wasn’t kidding. after a long journey I experienced a sudden, miraculous elimination over three days of my back pain and discovered the ability to mostly eliminate acute ringing in my ear almost as soon as it appears. ,

Five years ago, I had my hip replaced. (I never thought to consider the pain could be TMS because the pictures were so clear that the soft tissue and cartilage in the joint had been completely torn up and the femoral head was breaking down.) For the first two years after surgery. I was back in the gym doing very dynamic workouts with no pain. A few months into the Covid pandemic I was climbing out of a very cold river and both the front and the back of my hip froze up. The worst of it went away over a few days but enough pain lingered with certain daily activities, like lifting my leg up into the car or putting on my pants, that I have been through the classic medical merry-go-round for the last two and half years.

The evidence (my personality, this starting at the beginning of the pandemic, my family life being quite stressful and a very competent physiatrist agreeing my MRI shows minor soft tissue issues but no tissue pathology) points to this being TMS. Somehow I am struggling with fear and some lingering doubts. Any encouragement from you all would help. Thanks!

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

When you had back pain, were you medically diagnosed?
    This most likely is the equivellant. Someone I work with was diagnosed with a hole in her hip. She had operations. Then it was a knee. Without knowing about tms she did TMS work and eliminated her pain. Since that time she has had more chronic pain, used tms techniques (she is now informed) and resolves things fairly quickly.
    Is there a reason why you would not employ tms techniques in your daily life? Any particular reason why even if you have an injury of any kind you would also not “think psychological” immediately?
    Relapses are common. You can do this!

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  3. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

@David B, it's completely normal to struggle with fear and lingering doubts. I can't think of a single TMS symptom that I experienced, where I did not have them.

Overcoming the fear and doubt is exactly what TMS healing is all about (which I know you know already). It simply a matter of time and doing the work. For each of us, that amount of time is different. No need to put expectations on yourself. That only heightens the fight or flight response and makes things more difficult. You're here... sharing your story and asking questions. You've already started on the journey.

If you haven't already, make up your mind to avail yourself of the tools to recover and commit to that process.

Cactusflower likes this.
  4. David B

Thanks for the reply. An MRI showed an average disc herniation. Fortunately the spine surgeon was very hesitant to recommended surgery and even admitted to reading “a bit of Sarno everyday”. I bumped into him recently and he now hands out Healing Back Pain regularly to patients! I have started applying TMS techniques. I think my wavering commitment comes from the fact that I had hip surgery and I don’t see many people discussing or citing prominently hip pain/ tendinitis as TMS. Your question is motivating me to find a MBS doctor to see if they can give me affirmation which I did with my back. Thank you!

5. David B

Thank you! That is very helpful Cap’t! Sometimes I need to remember I’m on the right path and not alone!

Cap'n Spanky likes this.