1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Some Progress This Week

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by gailnyc, May 17, 2013.

1. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

This week, most notably on Tuesday and today (Friday) I had some moments during which I actually forgot about my pain for awhile for the first time since the pain began last June. They were just moments, maybe a few minutes at a time, but I am hoping the moments will get longer and longer.

This was an especially hard week because my supervisor announced she would be retiring at the end of the school year. This means change and uncertainty, two things I don't deal with well. I actually had an upset stomach on Tuesday and Thursday because of this news. But when I find myself worrying about the future I remind myself that I am not a fortune-teller and don't know how things will work out, so it's pointless to worry. I keep returning my attention to the present and, when I'm particularly anxious, I try to focus on my breathing.

The feeling of realizing I've forgotten about the pain for a few minutes is a truly wonderful feeling. I am looking forward to more of these moments.

Leslie likes this.
  2. ValVal

ValVal Peer Supporter

That's wonderful, Gail! I also do not do well with change. Glad you had some great moments today : )

gailnyc likes this.
  3. Lori

Lori Well known member

ah, yes, accepting change in our lives! Some changes are tougher than others for sure. I think fear of the unknown is a normal reaction. Just trust that all will work out (I speak from experience on this!!).

It is a wonderful thing to forget about the pain for a bit, isn't it! :)

gailnyc likes this.
  4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Way to go, Gail! Like you, I had a new administrator named this past week. I have my concerns, but I'm trying to withhold judgment.

I also had a success yesterday. My daughter and a friend came to visit, and it was a pleasant experience. That's a victory.

Here's hoping that your pain free episodes get longer and longer!

gailnyc likes this.
  5. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

WOW Gail this is great! I'm sooo happy for you! I'm confident you'll have more and more moments!

6. Solange

Solange Well known member

Hi Gail, it sounds so familiar,I too can get myself really worked up about a forthcoming change and I'm not very good at damping the anxiety down quickly before it begins to feed off itself and then spiral out of control but nine times out of ten, when the change actually happens, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.
    It's great when you suddenly realize you've had some pain free time and if it can happen once it can happen again and again in longer blocks. One day, all those blocks will join together to form a morning and then an afternoon and next, a day and so on. Have faith! We will succeed.

7. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Yup. So true.

Yes! I know that day will come--I am looking forward to it!