1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Some motivation if you need one today from GPD - Steve O

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by IndiMarshall, Sep 11, 2015.

1. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

I read a great few lines yesterday from Great Pain deception (set goals chapter) -

It doesn't matter the age or how many surgeries you've had, the pain can go, if you want it to. By setting goals you make the rebellious child listen to you and not the other way around. Movement and goal setting tells the id that the 'matured self' is in control and that crying pain no longer brings people to him. soon the child will begin to listen and change but he will not commit easily unless you reward him for his acquiescence.

I needed this myself .. am having a severe spasm

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Boston Redsox likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, IndiMarshall. Thanks for posting with Steve Ozanich's comments on setting goals to heal our TMS pain. He tells (page 294) about setting short-term goals such as if you feel pain in your feet when you walk, take a few steps, then sit down. Do it again and try to increase the steps. Keep in mind that your goal is to walk farther and not feel any pain.

IndiMarshall likes this.
  3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Question how do you reward the little devil?

4. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Peer Supporter

With love and acceptance!

IndiMarshall and Boston Redsox like this.
  5. Boston Redsox

I thought so....but its always nice to hear it from another.

God Bless

6. wonderwoman

If you don't accept the little devil, the little devil understands that you are rejecting that part of yourself. And the kickback from the little devil is not fun.

silentflutes and IndiMarshall like this.
  7. Boston Redsox

Your telling me....he puts me on my ass some days. But when the pain comes i tell him he does not have to do this anymore that i am paying attention and that i will take care of him.

So far no luck but i keep doing it

8. wonderwoman

That little child is a slow learner. He goes at his own pace.

Boston Redsox and IndiMarshall like this.
  9. Boston Redsox

Oh I know

10. IndiMarshall

I am told once you make some decent progress you have to mark the progress as a victory and treat yourself with a drink or someother way....and that way you are sending a signal to the brian that you are getting better each day ..
    Steve in his next few lines says - 'Make sure you reward yourself once you reach a specific goal .The brain needs to create a nexus between movement and reward. - if not immediately rewarded after movement , delayed reinforcement occurs; the association may on tbe strong and change may not occur'

11. Boston Redsox

Really? I was not aware

12. IndiMarshall

I think this was told in Healing back pain too by John E sarno. go out have a drink

13. Boston Redsox

don't need to tell me twice

Indi

This is so true I have been rereading TGPD I find it the best book of them all, and this chapter to me was a eye opener, it makes the most sense of all. I been practicing this for the last 3 days and Ihave to say my pain level as jumped from a 4-9 it was so bad last night when i was writing down my goals for the day my inner child just screamed…basically I had to pop a pill it was so bad.

But yes this is a important part of healing.

14. IndiMarshall

Love your pain.. treat it gently :) .. I am in learning process too.

I am glad you found this chapter very important

wonderwoman and Boston Redsox like this.