1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Some experience & question

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Oscar, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Oscar

Oscar Newcomer

Hi all,

this is not my first post - I'm still battling with TMS (back & buttock & leg pain) with inital MRI diagnose as bulging disc at L4 & herniated disc at L5

pain been going on & off for years, but suddenly develop leg pain few days after I read my MRI result & googling the symptoms. All these years and no leg pain, and suddenly develop one in a matter of days after MRI result? funny how that works...

Some update - leg pain is pretty much gone, and back pain coming back (during the leg pain, the back pain pretty much subside, only minor aches)

Some 2 days ago I suddenly had severe back pain in the low back / hip area while doing nothing, in the afternoon. after a few mins the severe back pain subside but still have moderate pain.I planned to workout that evening and really disappointed to cancel it, but after work, I thought to myself "whatever, I'll workout and see what happened" and - back pain pretty much gone! i even did squats, deadlifts etc and no pain whatsoever. I remember sitting in the gym after finishing my workout and still can't believe back pain can just disappeared just like that.

I talk with my brothers (who also workout after that) and said that I might need to lay off weights for 1 week or so. He thought that maybe my back muscle were "tired" and can develop spasm suddenly.

Questions : Should I stop for a while? I love workout and I'm pretty sure I'm not overworked. My common sense said that if my back feel better after workout then why stop? but my other mind thinks that maybe I develop habit of workout dependence ("my back will feel better after workout") and make TMS persist...

thx!

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

"Perhaps the most important (but most difficult) thing patients must do is to resume all physical activity, including the most vigorous." HBP, pg. 79.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Oscar,

One of the difficulties of having TMS is that we can no longer trust the signals our bodies send us, since TMS pain is an inaccurate message that something is wrong with our body. So when we resume physical activity we just have to take it one day at a time and see how it goes. This "unlearning" of our usual response to the signal of pain is difficult and very different for everyone. It takes courage and persistence. So my advice is to keep at it and see how it goes.

Tennis Tom likes this.