1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Some exciting success already

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Squash, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Squash

Squash New Member

I've had chronic muscle pain, mostly in my arms and legs, since 2005 when I was 25 years old. After ruling out a ton of other stuff, I was eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia and started on an experimental treatment that I was very hopeful about. I've been on it for years, but it still hasn't seemed to do anything.

The pain got so bad that I quit my job in 2008. I went back to school and changed careers to something that would be more compatible with living in pain. Fortunately, I enjoy my new job more; I'm now a software engineer and I build iPhone apps.

I stumbled upon Dr. Sarno's books by accident on Amazon.com. After looking into it a bit, I got really excited and ordered "The Divided Mind" which I devoured over two days. I feel that for the first time in 9 years, I have a solution to heal all this pain.

I now know that a particularly stressful experience in 2005 caused the onset of my pain, and I've conditioned myself to keep the pain alive with my perfectionism.

It's been two and a half weeks since I read the book, and I'm happy to report my success so far:
    • Emotionally, I've been much better. I'm happier, more present, and my wife reports that I'm much nicer to have around.
    • Right after I read the book, I had a particularly stressful experience and I got the worst headache I've had in years. It made me feel extremely nauseous and it hurt to even keep my eyes open, so I stopped working and laid down in bed. After a few minutes, I told myself, "this pain is being caused by my unconscious mind." I felt a wave of relief come over me, and the headache immediately vanished. I was able to get up and go about the day normally without a migraine. Every once in a while, I could feel the headache try to resurface, but it was never very strong and it kept going away again.
    • A pain in my lower back that I've been experiencing for a few months is now gone most of the time.
    • My muscle pain in my arms and legs has improved slightly. Even though that pain isn't a lot better yet, I've been weaning myself off of pain pills because I figure that I don't really need them anymore. I've gone down from three a day to just one without causing myself more difficulty or an increase in pain.
    My family and I (I have a wife and 4 kids ages 1-11) are really excited to see what else happens!

Laudisco and Barb M. like this.
  2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Congratulations. .. you are on your way to being pain free. You will learn so much about yourself over the next 42 days. And you will be given tools to help you manage your thoughts thus your pain.

Welcome to an amazing program.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Squash, your healing success is wonderful and an inspiration to everyone.
    The pain was in your head, in your subconscious, and you told it it was TMS and it is healing you.

Congratulations too on going back to school and getting a new job that you like.
    Liking our work has a lot to do with TMS pain and healing.

You will find, as Stella says, even more happiness and good health through the SEP program.
    I never really knew who I was until I learned about TMS and believed it 100 percent.
    Now I am my own best friend.

4. Irene

Irene Peer Supporter

Welcome, Squash! You are definitely on the right track. welcomea

5. linapina

linapina New Member

Squash, your post gives me hope... I would love to hear more how it is going for you.

6. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Wow, it sounds like you are having some great successes already! Well done and thanks for sharing. All the best with the SEP - I just recently completed it, and found it very helpful. Definitely worth the time and effort!

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, everyone. Looks like the SEP is working for all. It takes some time and effort, but it's showing pain-free results.

Lizzy and Laudisco like this.