1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Soldier suffering From PTSD

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Cindyingraham, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Cindyingraham

Cindyingraham Newcomer

Since my childhood, I have been dreaming to be a soldier. Serving my country and protecting it from outside threats. After my school I joined the Military school in Ontario. Serving my country for almost 10 years. I have been into posted to various places. In that time I have seen many horrible things. As it is all part of my job. I coped it with blocking it all out. But recently we went to this village, a few hours after the militia had left. It was a total distruction I can't go into many details about. It's was so horrible, We did our work, we call the medics did all that necessary for the victims. But when I got home. I couldn't get those images from my mind one in particular. A kid who been mutilated but left alive came back to my mind over and over again. I was very uncomfortable with it. I got short-tempered and screaming at my wife & kids. My world was turning upside down. Then my wife saved my life. She had a friend whose husband had similar issues so she contacted her and got an appointment for me. The doctor diagnosed my issue and told me that I am suffering from PTSD. So he suggests me to be a part of Neurofeedback training. Where he will assigning me for rounds of interviews and training program. I haven't heard about it much? Why you need training why not medication? Does it hurt your mental health again?

2. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

3. Sita

Sita Well known member

Hi,

Thank you for your service. You are a brave man. PTSD is a nasty illness but you'll get better. I did.

Quotation from the definition:"Neurofeedback gives the trainee an active role in managing their symptoms. This can be empowering for clients as they are not only developing self-regulation , but the brain is also learning to improve its function. Conversely, the role of medication is more passive, as no learning occurs during this process."
    No, it does not (from what I've read about it, I never used this particular method), you just get stronger mentally. In time. That's why you need a sort of training (your mind) in order to be able to control your emotions better.

Take care!

4. MedicineWithin

MedicineWithin Peer Supporter

Check out the works of Dr. Peter Levine. "Waking the Tiger,' is a good place to start. See if you can reach a somatic psychotherapist who practices that form. Also Ayahuasca has been really shown to help with PTSD in similar ways. I have had experience and good results with both.