1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

So THAT'S why I don't want to work for a living

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Sep 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey guys, who-all noticed Tennis Tom's tagline today?

OMG, this explains SO much:

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."[​IMG]
    Comedian Maria Bamford, posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp

:p

North Star likes this.
  2. jazzhands

jazzhands Peer Supporter

Oh crud, I think I got some of this.

Tennis Tom, North Star and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think everyone had a crappy childhood, especially if they gave it a little thought.
    I thought mine was normal, average, but doing some journaling I realized it was,
    as Steve Ozanich said when he read my post about it, "a perfect storm" for TMSc.

Okay, journaling got me to thinking about my boyhood and that led me to
    better understand my parents and older brother and I was able to forgive them
    for the stresses they caused me. They did the best they could, and now I am older
    I thank them for that.

Mala and North Star like this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I may be alone in this, but when I read that quote from Maria Bamford, I think of ye ole secondary gain theory about psychosomatic pain--the idea that those of us with chronic pain create it in order to get out of doing something, like full time work. I had some doctors, therapists, friends, and family who had that belief and I found it hurtful. And it was certainly untrue. Even though I had debilitating pain and fatigue for over 20 years, I always supported myself and mostly worked full time during that period.

I think Dr. Sarno said in one of his books that he very rarely ran into a patient who achieved any secondary gain from their TMS--that instead people with TMS were hard working and overly responsible. That has certainly been my experience.

I know this quote is meant entirely in fun, and I'm not objecting to it. I don't want to come off as humorless. It just kind of hits a nerve, and I felt I should state my response to it in case there are others who may feel the same way.

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I thought there would be some reaction to it, but as stated it's from a comedy act and bears some kernels of truth. As the medical delivery systems in the Western World become increasingly socialized as under Obama care, there will be more and more enabling and primary and secondary gains to be had. I know of several people who were on life-long SSI, were perfectly able to work and did holding several jobs under the table. There are constant informercials on TV for dubious ambulance/couch potato chasing law firms soliciting clients for all sorts of court mandated money give aways. With 92 weeks of unemployment checks available, the current generation has very little work ethic left--surf's up! Free money will continue to gain in popularity as long as the government continues handing out regular checks with no oversight. This will only stop when the ink and the paper to print the money or the plastic for the government issued debit cards--and the last person working, gets fed up, turns off the lights and signs up for the dole too. Whatever you do, don't piss off the farmers!

Ryan likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It bothers me too that some people take advantage of welfare programs,
    like those who have children they can't afford to raise, just so they can get government money to raise them.
    But I don't let it bother me much. They will get repaid some way for their dishonesty.

I think farmers who take government money not to grow crops ought to leave the farm and
    go to work like the rest of us.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

You're right to be bothered Walt, having multiple babies with no means of support has become an income stream for many. Unfortunately I don't think these feral children will be repaying us except with burglaries and robberies. I'm with you on farmers getting paid not to work and or getting paid to grow corn for ethanol that has less energy per gallon output and damages engines. Putting corn into our gas tanks also has the side-effect of taking it out of people's stomachs, driving food costs up and starvation. I dunno', if the gov paid me NOT to play tennis would I take them up on the offer, not sure, maybe I'd take up golf or croquette? Walt, if the gov paid you NOT to write would you take the bail-out?armscrosseddenial:)

8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi folks,

Our forum has valued members from a variety of political persuasions. Some are liberal and some are conservative. We come together to support each other and to discuss TMS.

Online political discussions can easily spin out of control and are therefore often proscribed in forums like this one. Cutting to the chase, this forum is not a place to discuss politics. There are other places for that.

Please see the following thread for more information:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/off-topic-content-will-be-deleted.5006/
    Our current rules on this, given in the thread linked to above, are taken directly from TMSHelp, another TMS forum, where political posts are also not allowed.

Our policies are currently evolving and I am eager to gather feedback from people. If you would like to share feedback, please contact me directly, via personal message, email, or phone (forestfortreesweb@gmail.com ; (857) 250-3999 - leave a message). I'm getting a lot of feedback right now, so I may not be able to respond immediately, but I read every message very carefully.

Thank you for your support.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    IrishSceptic, Stella and Seraphina like this.
  9. blackdog

blackdog Peer Supporter

I too am a little unsure of how to take this thread Ellen. I have worked for decades with a lot of pain and now find myself in a situation where I truly don't know if I can work. And I am horrified by the uncertainty of my situation. It feels like walking off a gangplank and not knowing if I can break the ropes and swim. I am hoping to get through the horrible pain and work by adapting a different mindset and I am working very hard on this. Not quite sure how to take this thread. Don't know if it's another thing to add to my list of things that pissed me off or not :punch:;)

Ellen and Mala like this.
  10. Mala

Mala Well known member

Ellen, I understand what u mean completely. I wish I could do all the things I used to be able to do including mundane things like cleaning the windows, scrubbing the bathroom tiles & then standing back & admiring it all. Oh how I long for that achy, tired feeling that comes with the satisfaction of a job done well.

Mala

Ellen likes this.
  11. Forest

Wow, when I had first read the quote, I had only taken it to mean that those syndromes were mindbody conditions, which made me laugh. In hindsight, though, I realize that it also had "allegations of secondary gain," which I doubt anyone here (least of all Jan, though correct me if I'm wrong :) ) believes in.

Here's what Dr. Sarno says about secondary gain in Mindbody Prescription, in chapter 6, Chronic Pain and Lyme Disease. It's a real gem if you like TMS Lore, like I do.

yb44 likes this.
  12. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, guys - this is an interesting example of just how different everyone is. When I saw this excerpt, I though it was funny because I totally related to it - it's like I never before had made the connection between my negative attitude towards work (even though I do go to work, and have, for many many years) with my TMS - I was laughing so much at myself, I thought others would enjoy it, but of course, reading some of the responses, I can see that it has a completely different meaning for others.

I had googled Maria Bamford and found a lengthy NYT article which is really interesting. She has struggled all of her life with mental illness, but when she is getting ready to do a show, she tells herself "just do the work" which I found myself saying today when I caught myself resenting having to do my work.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I caused any distress by putting this up. Forest, you can take down the whole thread if you want to - it certainly wouldn't bother me!

~Jan

Ellen and Forest like this.
  13. Forest

Oh, goodness, no! As you mentioned in your post, people are different. That's part of what forums are about, because it's part of what makes discussions challenging and interesting. Sometimes we will be offended, but that's okay. Forum staff can't prevent that. Our job is just to establish rules and make sure they are followed. Except as noted above, no rules were broken here.

Personally, I think it's great that we have a bit of debate. It means that we are maturing as a community.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  14. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I had the same reaction as Forest but I can see the alternative point of view. When I was stuck at home with debilitating migraines it wasn't the secondary gain of being able to take time off from paid employment that kept me there. I wanted to work outside of the home but feared doing this, everything about it like finding childcare to meeting new people. I thought I wouldn't be able to cope. When I finally went back to work full time out of financial necessity the migraines continued but I rarely took a day off work. When I was applying for a different job years later the application required you to state how many sick days you took off over the previous two years. I couldn't remember but knew it was fairly low so I guessed five. My manager was asked the same question when she was writing me a reference. She joked about it with another staff member. I had had two days off in two years. Yes, we TMSers have a tendency to be overconscientious among other things. That's what keeps the symptoms coming.

JanAtheCPA, Ellen and Tennis Tom like this.