1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

So many issues. Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ripley, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Ripley

Ripley Newcomer

Since determining I have tms, my struggle is what emotion do I pick on to start healing? The one where my father abandoned me at 6? Where my mother tried to commit suicide when I was 12, but saved her and then she never spoke of it again. Was it the birth of my special needs son, now 25, whom I feel guilty not seeing all the time due to his living in Alaska and me in North Carolia, or my mother successfuly committing suicide leaving me alone to raise my special needs son or losing the best dog anyone could ask for at the age of 5 to cancer. So many choices...what should I focus on to start healing? What am I supposed to do once I've settled on a skeleton from a closet? Stare at it, talk to it? Cry? Nothing will change what happened. So it was ticked away neatly in one f my mind drawers. So now that they are, what do I say, how am I supposed to feel so my road to recovery can get started?

2. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

Ripley,
    I had the same struggle four months ago when I first started learning about TMS. I'm over 50, so I have decades of emotionally charged issues to pick from. I was overwhelmed with where to begin. Someone suggested Nichole Sachs during one of the Saturday drop-in chat sessions. I found her video about journaling (organizing life events into lists) to be very helpful in getting me unstuck.

You can also listen to the audio of the Tuesday night book discussion about Nichole's book "The Meaning of Truth" here on the TMS Wiki. I've been listening to it daily while at work. Awesome information in this recording! I'm looking forward to listening to "God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain" next.

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Call-In_Peer_Discussion_Group#The_Meaning_of_Truth (Call-In Peer Discussion Group)

I'm sorry to read about your mother's suicide. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been for you. I hope you find these suggestions helpful from one TMS newbie (and North Carolinian) to another.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Ripley, Dr. Sarno writes in "Healing Back Pain" that we just need to discover the repressed emotions. We don't have to solve any problems. Our subconscious "gets it" and stops the pain. There is no need to "stew" over things that happened. That keeps us in the past, and it's much healthier to live in the present.

I've had four dogs, one at a time, and miss them terribly. I try to focus on remembering our good times together and believe we will meet again in heaven. Maybe think about that with your beloved dog.

I'm glad, Hattie, that you are going to read my book with Herbie Watson, "God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain." I hope Ripley will read it, too. I added spiritual faith to my TMS healing and think it helped a lot. We're in the Easter week now, a good time to reflect on being grateful for the blessings we have been given.

4. Ripley

Ripley Newcomer

Thank you for the reply. Reading her book now. Now I just need the patience to let the knowledge work....

5. Ripley

Ripley Newcomer

Thank you for the reply. Reading her book now. Now I just need the patience to let the knowledge work....

6. Ripley

Ripley Newcomer

7. Ripley

Ripley Newcomer

Thank you for the encouraging words!