1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 9 Sneaky body/mind introducing new pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Hedger, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Hedger

Hedger Well known member

So I was playing soccer with a neighbor in a laid back way while kids were playing. Tried an advance move, over kicked with my leg and felt a strain. Pain immediately, like I had injured myself a bit (not too bad).

Immediately started thinking, Oh no I have to deal with this now during my TMS progress, why did I kick like that and hurt myself. When will it go away? Bla bla bla (Fear)

Bummed out for half the day. Then I remembered I was supposed to take a jog that evening. Didn't feel like it at all, tired and sad for the new pain.

Then all of a sudden I was like, fuck it! Really body?! New pain?! No way. I will fucking run anyway. And so I did. And? It went awesome!!!! Ran for 30 min in almost my fastest, and it didn't hurt. I wasn't injured.. I even sprinted the last mile. Just some strain pain the body got hung up on. Felt empowered to not letting myself be tricked that day by my mind. I actually screamed YES at the end of the run and celebrated. A neighbor looked chocked staring at me, then she smiled haha.

This morning that new pain was completely gone. It has come back slightly during the morning though, back and forth. But not as much as before the run. I think of it as some residue pain from the soccer, that will soon leave.

Balsa11 and Tennis Tom like this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS will use whatever you do to distract you. Last year when I was having some struggles in Baseball I 'overkicked' (just borrowed that) a football when playing with my dog. I kick the ball dozens of time every day, but THAT day I 'overkicked'

Then after writing and reviewing , I realized I was bummed about not doing well in my baseball game and was probably PISSED about it. Shame. Rage. all of that.
    Thinking I had 'overkicked' was just a trigger... something that could get my attention since I am not a football player. Something I might 'believe'.
    So I went out and kicked even harder and farther then my 'overkick' and focused on my anger at my performance in baseball AND the subconscious fear any athlete has about injury ... they tend to talk about it waaay too much in the dugout. Whenever they talk about that crap I go 'blah blah blah' in my head, like the adult voices in Charlie Brown cartoons...don't Listen to that crap!

It went away and my dog got a better than usual workout. Win/win.

That IS the Tms... Concerns and fear about our activity are better than even pain in keeping us distracted. Physicophobia Sarno named it.
    That's always a magic moment. I have had that a lot and it's AWESOME. This is an amazing process. Congratulations!!!

Balsa11, Hedger and plum like this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I never realised that Sarno had named it thus. How did I miss that? Thanks my dear.

Balsa11 and Hedger like this.