1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 6 Slowly but surely

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Actualisation, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Actualisation

Actualisation New Member

Thank you in advance for taking the time to check out my post. Any thoughts are appreciated :)

After feeling lazy I pushed myself to do the meditation exercise required for day 6. Immediately after closing my eyes I got a thought of my dad poking fun as meditating. Having previously meditated (albeit not more than probably 20 times) I mentioned this to my dad and felt ridiculed by him. Interesting how this came up. I found meditation to be very beneficial and calming each time but never stuck at it. I made the excuse of not having enough time but in reality if I wanted to meditate I could find 10 minutes on each most days. Perhaps this ridicule has stopped me. Although I really enjoyed the session and felt very relaxed I was less focused than previously and ended up coming back to what I was going to write on this post. Why is this? I guess because I don’t want to post something boring and waste peoples valuable time.

Thanks for reading this :) Have a great day!

SunnyinFL likes this.
  2. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Actualisation,

Please don't ever worry about posting "something boring and waste people's valuable time." We're all here voluntarily and often your posts will help other people who can relate to your story. Congratulations on pushing yourself to try the meditation.

Our fathers have a huge influence on our childhood and development and their reactions often have a big impact on us. I can relate to this because I don't think my parents would be all that understanding of the TMS journey. Indeed, in the past my father's reaction to any of these types of things has been rather dismissive - "oh, that's just psycho-babble." Dr. Schubiner helped me when he told me to just not talk to my parents about it - he said it wouldn't help me if they weren't able to be supportive. Our society gives males lots of messages about keeping their emotions in tiny boxes and under control, so it's not surprising to me that many males such as my father find it hard to address emotional subjects. Of course, there are also many males - such as those in this community - that "get it" and are happy to lend their support.

You stated in your post that you found your meditation beneficial and calming - so I encourage you to keep at it. All that matters is whether it is a technique that works for you. Even just one minute a day is better than nothing!

I hope you will keep pushing yourself through your recovery. Good luck! Sunny

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Him Actualusation. You're making good progress with TMS healing. Mindfulness meditation is a wonderful technique.
    I find the mindfulness sessions very helpful and supplement them with mindfulness meditation I find on Youtube.
    One of my favorites is "Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over-Thinking," with Michael Sealey's soothing voice hosting a visualization program that uses mindfulness of breathing in the present moment. It practically puts me to sleep so I like watching it in the evening close to bed time.

As for our fathers not believing in TMS, yes, I think it is a macho thing, but why do most men need to drink beer or something stronger to relax them?
    They should discover their TMS repressed emotions and personality problems that cause them and others pain.