1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping & Pillows

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Freedom, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

Slightly off topic: Sometimes I will wakeup with my neck too high or at a weird angle with pain. What pillows are recommended to avoid this happening (I am a back sleeper) ?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

You're thinking physically instead of psychologically. My recommendation is to do a little meditation or visualization practice before you go to sleep, telling yourself that you're going to sleep really well and wake up feeling great.

Choose a pillow or combination of pillows that feels relaxing to you. Everyone's head and neck are different. I stopped worrying about pillows and mattresses when traveling after I started doing this work.

Ellen likes this.
  3. Ines

Ines Well known member

I like those foam gel type pillows. You can find them cheaper at Marshalls or Home Goods. I'm with you on the twisted neck thing and I'm a back sleeper. I hate those feather pillows. Back sleepers need support. If I end up on my side or on my tummy I'll have a kinked neck all day.

4. pspa

pspa Well known member

YMMV, but I like the shredded latex pillows, good combination of give and support. You can get them in different heights depending on your preference, or if you are willing to pay up you can even get them with adjustable filling.

5. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

Pregnancy pillow, and I'm a guy saying this.

When my wife was pregnant, we bought her one and she slept like a rock most nights. I would use it when she couldn't stand it at times. That was over 3 years ago. I ordered another one recently(just because I wanted one) and just got it a few days ago. No lie, for someone like me with neck, back and shoulder discomfort, who has been sleeping flat on his back with a cervical pillow for the better part of 2 years now, this has brought me nothing but sweet dreams the past few days...........and with virtually no pain upon waking.

It's not to knock the cervical or specialty pillows any, but I'm just tired of fighting the good fight against nighttime discomfort, and remembered some of the best sleep was when I had a body pillow. I got good use out of the cervical pillow, but I'm tired of sleeping on my back. I even went so far as to sleep on my "painful" shoulder with no issues. I haven't felt this good for months.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  6. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

I'm open to this being possible. My confusion is, if you hold your body in a uncomfortable position for a long time, it usually hurts. For example if I am carrying a bag in my hand and my wrist is contorted for a long time it will hurt (although with that case it's usually very very short term). So how would this not be the case for the neck?

This has been frustrating for me as I've now had trouble sleeping for months. I either wake up with some pain and then just get up early so it doesn't hurt more (but then I'm tired), OR I sleep through and it seems fine but when I get up I have kinks in my neck (not burning or anything, but the muscles are knotted and tight)

7. pspa

pspa Well known member

Perhaps the muscles are knotted and tight for reasons having nothing to do with the pillow?

8. Trellis

Trellis New Member

No pillow at all works for me. I do have two mattress toppers my mattress though, so it's very cushioned. But I still go without on holiday whatever the mattress and it's fine. I've been a neck pain sufferer for years, but it's much better since starting this work. Still haven't been able to re-instigate the pillow, although I now sleep on my side (deliberately on the left, favourite side where my shoulder 'issues' are).
    Swimming and weights seem to be more important for pain alleviation than the right pillow, for me.