1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

sleeping issues. am i trying too hard?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Nov 20, 2018.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

hello guys. so after reading and reading i keep seeing that i need 7-8 hours of sleep. now im constantly watching the clock to go to sleep before 12 because i need to wake up at 8 to have that 8 hours sleep. i avoid everything, parties, friends or any kind of stuff at night because if i dont get that sleep my progress in the gym and low testosterone and health will suffer. i even take melatonin to get that zzzz faster. i get anxiety if i dont go to bed and sleep for 8 hours. heck i get anxiety during my sleep which wakes me up and if i dont get back to sleep my progress will suffer. this week is black friday’s week. during thanksgiving i wont be able to have good sleep because from thursday- friday i work from 5pm-2am to get to wake up the next day at 10 am (friday) and from friday to saturday i go get out of work at 12 am to enter to work at 10 am on saturday. thinking of this gets me anxious and now thinking about it. its actually harming me more than getting 6 or 7 hours of sleep.
    lastly i always get anxious the day before lifting wanting to have everything on point like sleep food etc to lift heavier the next day. i think im doing it all wrong. i should treat this as a hobby and if i fail the lift i shouldnt be too hard on myself but worrying everyday about sleeping and eating this is like almost a second job. i should just enjoy it and make it a part of my life and not my life. sorry a little venting here hehe what are your opinion on this? you had experience?

sorry for the long post. i just think im trying too hard to fix my health (especially hormones) and progress in the gym

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I think the less you obsess about how much sleep you get, the happier you will be and the better you will sleep. We tend to be obsessive creatures!

stevow7 likes this.
  3. Penny2007

Penny2007 formerly Pain2007

Sounds like you are trying too hard for everything to be perfect. I can relate. Sleep is important but you'll survive with less then 8 hours. I know what you are going through. I had terrible sleep anxiety last year. Telling myself it would be OK whether I slept well or not was helpful. Good luck!

4. freedomseeker

freedomseeker Peer Supporter