1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jokeysmurf, Nov 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jokeysmurf

jokeysmurf Well known member

I haven't been on TMS wiki for a long time. I've been doing well minus a few hiccups caused by some stresses. Maybe what I have been experiencing is also a cause of stress.

I've had some nights where I was having some TMS toward food and drink. This was a long battle for me when I was starting recovery. I've had IBS on and off for a while and it's mostly been off. Every once in a while when I travel I get some fear thoughts about food or drink and it kicks up.

Recently i overcame this fear though episode and had a social get together with some neighbors. We had some pizza and I had two cocktails. This was a huge win because usually in the past the thought of alcohol would make my stomach hurt. I went to bed in a good mood and I had a nightmare. This is the weird part for me. After I woke up I had a really hard time realizing or feeling like where I was in my bed was real. I couldn't shake the dream, I was freaked out and it took me a really long time to snap out of it. It's happened one other time when I was having lots of fears about alcohol and I finally had two beers at a hockey game with a friend and felt happy I had conquered this fear and once again woke up freaked out and I tool a really like time. It's like I woke up, tried to come down from the fear and then went into like thus freeze mode where I felt like I wasn't in my body.

I'm not sure if what I am writing makes sense or if anyone has experienced it. I'm not a heavy drinker and in both cases I didn't consume much alcohol. Maybe this is stress related?

Its a new one for me.

2. Bitzalel Brown

Bitzalel Brown Peer Supporter

Hi Jokeysmurf
    I have also experienced similar crazy stuff. Our unconscious mind has a "mind of it's own" and can come up with just about anything to distract us , shake us and keep us from any thoughts or activities that are connected to emotions. The scary thing is how far it will go to spare us from ourselves. Not long ago after a very long stretch without TMS signs I woke up startled with the room spinning around me. Every time over the next few days when I would lay down the room would spin and i would have to sit up. My cognitive brain immediately went to work to " figure out " what was wrong. Dehydration, maybe adjust my diet and got me to initiate searches on the net. I took a few days till I came to my emotional senses. A bit of TMS thinking, searching for stressors and turning to my emotion instead of a "concrete " real cure and puff, it was gone. I pray for you the same.

3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

It might be that alcohol just doesn't suit you - it isn't mandatory! If you feel better without it - just dont bother with it....
    I had 4 years after a major operation when if i had a sip of alcohol -= I would have a panic attack - so i just gave it up. Years later it was fine. At the moment I am not drinking it cos im diabetic - trying a vegan diet to reverse it!
    A friend of mine was a happy drinker until menopause - after that she got really anxious after drinking - so she gave it up.
    Do what suits you - one less thing to worry about...!!

4. jokeysmurf

I agree that we should do what suits us, and in the pursuit of teaching my brain that things in moderation are safe alcohol is one of them as is tylenol, occasional burgers etc. I had years of fear of food, alcohol, certain cleaners in my house that had strong odors. It basically all stemmed from a fearful brain and learned behaviors. I think sometimes when we face our fears our brains can rebound strongly with symptoms - things don't just go quietly when we have had lots of practice fearing them.

I wish you the best in your diet. I have had some friends be successful with reversing their diabetes with exercise, diet and then way down the road intermittent fasting - but they did it with the approval of their docs.

5. jokeysmurf

Well, it happned two more times both time without alcohol. Then I decided it was TMS and it went away for a while then I started getting just weird spaciness every morning so I know it's TMS.