1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

sleep and tension, EMDR

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by she333, Mar 7, 2016.

1. she333

she333 Peer Supporter

It's fairly common for me to have nightmares, sleep poorly, and wake up finding that im holding tension in the areas of my pain. I did have one tms therapist tell me it was due to the need to the process the things psychologically that have caused my TMS. I really don't think I actually have PTSD. Although I do also wake up feeling terrified about something. I'm aware of the events I need to process. Sometimes I wonder if going to someone for EMDR would help me do this and help me with healing. I'm aware that fibromyalgia can often be accompanied by sleep issues. I don't have this diagnosis, but it would make sense that sleep issues would occur with the other TMS equivalents (in my case ic and pfd tms symptoms ). Has anyone found emdr helpful?

2. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Hi I didn't do enough sessions to answer that as my therapist was merely in training for the technique and although tried it we didn't move foward with it...never asked why...Anyway if you put EMDR in the search box you will find lots of info on this Forum. I also have first hand knowledge of a close associate who found great success with it.
    Hope this helps.

she333 likes this.
  3. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

I'm getting ready to do this next week. We'll see how it goes.

she333 and Susan1111 like this.
  4. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

she333,

I don't know anything about EMDR... just wanted to mention that I share your symptoms. And it does, for me, feel like what your therapist described. My nightmares seem like my brain in frenzy, trying to sort all this mess out.... and getting stuck in a nightmare world where all of my TMS fears are completely true. I think there's good reason to believe that sleep problems like this are just more TMS, and needn't be addressed separately. Hopefully, TMS progress in your waking life will gradually spill over into your sleeping life.

- E

she333 likes this.