1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sink in to the pain?...vanish

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by lexylucy, Jan 11, 2015.

1. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Hi! I'm new and I'm just checking in. I read Healing Back Pain four years ago and it had no affect on me - then after four years of severe pain I decided to explore this again. A funny thing - I went online a few weeks ago and I listened to a bunch of success stories and watched a bunch of TMS videos and my pain lifted!! For about five days. Then it came back - but then today I went on the online chat forum and afterwords I was lying down and I had this feeling of sinking in to the pain. I can't really describe it other than that. It was NOT ignoring the pain but rather allowing it to do it's thing --all the while telling myself that my physical body is just fine. And then it vanished :) Like poof.

pretty cool :)

Dahlia, lorrie, Shirley and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. That is cool! I think when we let go of the resistance to pain (which is letting go of the fear), we experience relief.

Welcome to the Forum! Keep us posted on how you're doing.

3. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

Just like Ellen said, you were able to letting go of your fear while "sinking" into it. You became an observer instead of a victim. You just let the pain do what it want to do and have no respond to it.
    Trying to ignore your symptoms are usually don't work very well. It hurt like hell how can we ignore it. It is better to direct our mind to be more acceptance, to be an observer, to go with the flow, to say: "I don't give a sh_t". Slowly, the mind will comply, the fear will be gone or reduced and the symptoms will lessen.

Barb M. likes this.
  4. lexylucy

Thank You !! :)

5. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

In every consult I tell people to stop fighting their pain. Allow it. Let it wash over you, accept it as part of you. You created it, you can let it go.

On page 193 of GPD I said to "lean into the pain." That's what "sink into it" means. Don't pull back. Your pain can't hurt you--odd as that may sound. It won't define you.

Steve

North Star, wendyd, lorrie and 2 others like this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Steve. A great reminder to accept pain. It's there to get us to work on our TMS emotions.
    It's our friend, not our enemy.

lorrie likes this.
  7. lexylucy

Sometimes lately I will hear a voice in my head -I think this is the TMS talking - and it will say "Do you need me?"
    Like throughout the day - let's say I encounter a small or large disappointment. It could be as simple as going to a bakery and finding out they are all out of blueberry muffins. Maybe in my subconscious mind there is a little kid stomping ---"But I wanted a blueberry muffin!!"(tears and kicking) but on a conscious level what I feel is a pang of pain right in my left side of my hip. But today I also heard a voice say -"Do you need me?" And I was like ya know what? I think I'm ok :) Thanks anyways!! :)

North Star and Barb M. like this.
  8. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi lexylucy,
    You sound so jazzed to have a new, enlightening relationship to your body-mind. I never experienced this "Do you need me?" but to me it represents a wonderful integration of the parts of yourself, a sort of individuation on the inner level. Each part has its place and is seen. Wonderful!!
    I am so happy for you.
    Andy

North Star likes this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

My postman gives me TMS. He doesn't pick up outgoing mail if he feels like it, and he gives me other people's mail
    and probably gives them mine. I think postmen are the laziest and dumbest people and they get paid a fortune and
    get a month vacation or more. I just had to drive to find him and give him my outgoing mail. It gave me TMS so I
    practiced "Do you need me?" I decided it does, but then laughed it all off. Thank God for laughter and deep breathing.

And a small glass of burgundy. I nearly fell asleep before I finished.

Zumbafan and North Star like this.
  10. wendyd

wendyd Peer Supporter

I just returned from a week in Costa Rica. The week was dedicated to fully absorbing the fact that I have TMS. The book I read, lying in the hammock, was Steven Ozanich's "The Great Pain Deception". Thank you, Steven. I laughed. I cried. I saw myself in so many anecdotes. (Loved the part about standing in line! That is so me). By the end of the week, I had no pain! It was beyond fabulous. The day before returning to work, guess what? Of course. Pain. Today...pain. I pulled up the forum and saw this and sighed. Yes. Breath into it. I remember now. I will. I am. I will not let this define me.

11. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

What an awesome thread this is! And lexylucy, I love what you added. Right now I'm dealing with some drama that one of my teens has created and trust me…I can feel it in my hip. :p

I especially love what you said too, Steve, "you created it, you can let it go." If I were ever inclined to get a tattoo, that could qualify as a reminder to put on the inside of my wrist. Since the likely hood of getting a tat is slim to none, I may just reach for my Sharpie. Somedays my brain needs constant reminding.

lexylucy likes this.
  12. lexylucy

Right now I'm dealing with some drama that one of my teens has created and trust me…I can feel it in my hip. :p

I especially love what you said too, Steve, "you created it, you can let it go." If I were ever inclined to get a tattoo, that could qualify as a reminder to put on the inside of my wrist. Since the likely hood of getting a tat is slim to none, I may just reach for my Sharpie. Somedays my brain needs constant reminding.[/QUOTE]

Thanks ! :) I can relate. My mom told me - she's getting a double knee replacement and I think I was mean to her last night :( Just pushing her away because I am scared to lose her or if something might happen..Also with all this mindbody stuff I am learning it's hard for me...does she need one?? I guess I will let her handle what is best for her and be as supportive as I can.. Thanks for listening my back feels better just talking about this. I do not have control over other people but I can speak my truth :)

13. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Lexylucy- Relationships with parents are so complicated aren't they? And I would bet money that you're mom has TMS. But for now, only she can sort that out. You might leave Dr. Sarno's book laying around for her and see if she bites. And yes, being supportive is powerful!

In the meanwhile, never underestimate the power of a flower or a sweet note of gratitude for your mom. I'm serious. The healing those small gestures bring is nothing short of miraculous, IMHO. :)

lexylucy likes this.