1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

SI Joint Pain TMS or Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by COgirl05, Mar 15, 2015.

1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

I've had SI joint pain for about 5 years now and I've learned a lot with Sarno and had many ups and downs. I think I'm on a good track now actually. However, in the past couple weeks, my SI joint pain has switched to the opposite side and in this time, I found out I am pregnant with our second child. This new pain mostly comes on right after I run and lasts for a little while. It's sharp and quite burdensome when I walk. I want to believe it's TMS but I can't help but wonder if it's something with the pregnancy since it came on at that same time and it's not been on that side for about 1.5 years now. How do I know what's pregnancy and what's TMS?

In hindsight, I have had this exact thing a couple months after I had my first son after running. I quit running, starting only walking and then it traveled to the other side where it's been for the past 1.5 years.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, COgirl. Have you asked your doctor about whether the join pain is from your pregnancy?
    I doubt it is. It is probably from anxiety over having second child. You say you had pain after your first child.

I think your pain is related to being a mother, not to being pregnant.

Maybe talk to other mothers to ask if they have or have had similar symptoms from pregnancy or motherhood.

I would concentrate on the joy of giving birth and being a mother. Babies need a lot of love, and you can give it to them.

3. Alexis1984

Alexis1984 New Member

My thought, as an newbie, but a mom, is that pregnancy is full of transient pain. I had weird hip pains in my pregnancy but I was so young and so happy and my TMS hasnt ever manifested as pain, so I remember laughing and telling my mom "this sucks! My hips hurt! Gotta make room for this little baby!!"

Now I'm thinking of having another and I'm nervous about keeping my head above water with the stress and pain, but I'm starting with a psychotherapist next week and I have kept good notes of my pain and feelings. It is clear that it's stress related - the pain flares when I'm angry or sad, and calms when I let myself cry or calm my mind.

Try to remember that even if it is bad pain, it can't hurt you. Hell, my family is from Honduras and my grandmother literally broke her spine before she had my uncle in 1958. A little Honduran with two kids and a broken spine bopped around New York pregnant with nothing but "a little tenderness." We are very, very strong!!