1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Shoulder pain has come back!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by HPJM, Oct 18, 2015.

1. HPJM

HPJM New Member

Hi everyone, I'm sure some of you remember me.

I finished the program around a month ago, and had nice progress. I moved location around 2 weeks ago and I am doing a full time legal training course. I only mention this because my stress may be due to this.

My shoulder pain has come back. It moves around a lot, and often comes when I'm at the gym, but after as well. I'm pretty sure it is a programmed reaction. I've done a page of journalling.

Any tips for relapses?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi HPJM,
    One approach I use is to simply allow the pain. I say to myself "Of course you have this pain: you are prone to TMS symptoms. So what?"

In other words I normalize it rather than catastrophizing it.

This approach undercuts the perfectionism and fear that arises in me, when I feel some pain.

It is easy to mis-use Dr. Sarno's work on ourselves by becoming obsessed with a perfect cure or what else we need to "do." We don't have to do so much, but rather be aware of the process.

Hope this might help you. Try to hang loose.

Andy B.

HPJM and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I love Andy's reply, HP. What he said! Double from me! :D

HPJM likes this.
  4. HPJM

HPJM New Member

Thanks a lot guys, it is already feeling much better.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, HP JM. I suspect the legal training course has brought back some TMS pain.
    I believe Andy has the solution. Face and accept the shoulder pain, set your mind again to believe 100 percent in TMS, and you will be back to feeling great.