1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Shoulder pain as TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by David88, Jan 13, 2019.

1. David88

David88 Well known member

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone experienced shoulder pain as TMS?

I've had a sore shoulder for months now, with restricted range of motion. The MRI shows a partial rotator cuff tear. Physical therapy and a cortisone shot were unhelpful. The doctors here are telling me that only surgery will fix it. Dr. Gwozdz says that the tear is a red herring and the pain is from TMS.

I'm suspicious that it's TMS, and certainly don't want surgery. But I haven't been able to make any progress.

I'd appreciate knowing if anyone has had a similar experience.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi David88,

I helped someone with a similar problem. Sore shoulder for several months, and it went away. The range of motion issues with her were not significant, and seemed more about pain avoidance. Not sure in your case... Hope you get some more confirmation for this.

I think partial rotator cuff tear imaging might be inconclusive, but not sure on this. My person did not have imaging. You might PM the PT here!

Andy B

3. David88

David88 Well known member

Thanks Andy. Who is the PT and how does one PM them?

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I had a month long run in with shoulder pain about two years into being healed from my back pain...(like 2001). It started about a week before I went to my Brothers wedding In Las Vegas that I really didn't want to go to. I was also in the middle of baseball season and being a coach I threw several hundred balls a day (I was the batting practice coach)

I went and got the steroid shots, used ice,, was warned,yada,yada, yada... I 'took it easy' over the weekend I was at the wedding. (which I didn't want to go to...aha) and when I came back the pain was WORSE. Something tipped me off that it was TMS so I 'went inside' and treated it the same way I did my back pain. I actually Healed by throwing more and harder...and focusing on all of the things that were pissing me off. It only lasted a couple of days past that awareness.

I am sure my arm has all sorts of 'tears' and issues...and I still play hard catch Often, with My son who is 25. Without stretching... after lifting weights ...We are not the delicate gossamers the Medical world tells us we are...sometimes I throw till I can barely move from fatigue...but painfree.