1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Shoulder and knee pain finally gone

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Enrique, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Hello Everyone,

I finally got over my knee and shoulder pain. I tried doing it alone like I did many times before. And when I say alone, I mean without the help of a TMS doctor or a TMS therpist. Most of my previous TMS cures have come from reading books, conversing here on the forum, and doing the self-work that is found in books.

This time I needed to look for additional help which was from a TMS doc and a therapist. It took a long time for me to take the action to get that help. I think part of it was ego and part of it was the cost. In the end, the advice and support from some on this forum and my wife convinced me that it was the right next move. I'm very glad that I took the advice.

First, I got with one of the Pain Psychology Center's therapists and after a session or two flew down to LA to see Dr Schechter. After seeing him, he was sure my knee pain was TMS but not sure about the shoulder so he advised getting an MRI to rule out a labral tear. It took about a month for me to get that MRI done and when I got it back the results were that no labral tear was there. SO, with doubt gone about any physical abnormality in my shoulder I kept working with the therapist. I met every 2 weeks and we talked about my life and the stressors. She gave me strategies and pointed out blind spots where my thinking patterns were causing TMS to stick. Gradually over about a month or two the pain subsided in both my knee and shoulder. All the while I kept training for a half ironman which I'm signed up for in September.

In the last 3 weeks or so, the pain got to a zero level. I have done two olympic distance triathlons in the last month and ran a 5K race. All with no pain.

I'm not totally out of the woods yet though because the symptom imperative took effect on me and pain moved into my low back really bad back in April the night before a race. However, with knowledge from previous TMS recoveries that there's nothing wrong with my back and with help from the therapist, the pain has been subsiding and today it's there, but at a very low level. I feel it is just a short time before it is completely gone.

I guess the moral of my story is that I needed outside help. I had to get solid advice from a doctor who understands TMS and I had humble myself and be willing to be vulnerable to another person (my therapist). I couldn't heal without those things.

Enrique

2. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Hi Enrique! Thank you for your great story, I'm so happy that you have recovered and all your efforts paid off.
    I Wanted To Know How to Get A Hold Of Dr Scheckter that you saw in LA? There is no sign of a tms therapist where I live.
    thanks
    Kathleen

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Enrique for posting your experience. It is so important to hear the recovery stories. Good for you for taking that next step!

Enrique likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations on your success, Enrique! Your story is very inspiring. So glad to hear your hard work has paid off.

Enrique likes this.
  5. blake

blake Well known member

Hello Enrique,
    I'm thrilled for you. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story.

I'm glad you mentioned about getting help. I was exactly the same: I resisted getting help for 8 months. Although I made great progress on my own, there were still so many things I couldn't see about myself. When I finally started phone consultations with a tms coach, it was a godsend. Takes courage, but it's well worth the effort.

All the best to you!

Enrique likes this.
  6. Enrique

Kathleen, I contacted Dr Schechter by calling his office. Here's his website http://www.schechtermd.com
    I set up an appointment and flew down to see him. I couldn't use my health insurance because I use an HMO, but the cost of a TMS consult is not really that much actually. He charges $375 I believe. I was able to get the MRI through my own HMO though, so that was great.

While I was there I also took the opportunity to see my TMS Therapist in person because she is in LA also. I normally only do Skype sessions with her. So I met her once in person and have had many sessions via Skype.

Enrique

7. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Who was the therapist that you are seeing via skype

8. Enrique

Her name is Samantha Bothast.

Kathleen likes this.
  9. Boston Redsox

Thx in was also seeing one on Skype her name was Amber

10. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Is your tums therapist working for you...worth the cost?

11. Kathleen

Kathleen New Member

Also, is working with your therapist worth the cost I've spent so much money on doctors I just want to make sure that my money is well spent.

12. Boston Redsox

I
    I switch to regular Therpist after a few sessions nothing different then my regular therpist

Kathleen likes this.
  13. Enrique

It's helping me. I've never been to any therapist before so I can't compare TMS vs Non-TMS. That being said, I believe she's helping me see things that I'm not aware of.

Kathleen likes this.
  14. JoeB1

JoeB1 Peer Supporter

Congrats Enrique!