1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Should there have been pain?

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by 444, Jul 1, 2021.

1. 444

444 Peer Supporter

Question, as I look back on events in my life I remember about 10 yrs agp tearing my Achilles’ tendon while playing flag football. This was before my chronic back pain. When I tore the tendon there was no pain. Nothing, it didn’t even ache. My son was with me and I wonder if my brain had not sent the pain signal because I didn’t want to alarm him. Should there have been pain? There was definitely tissue damage. I remember a lot of people being surprised that I didn’t have pain. Any thoughts?

2. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

Do you feel pain afterwards? or still no pain?

3. 444

444 Peer Supporter

I never felt any pain from that event. When it happen, the next day, nothing. Had it surgically repaired and now it’s just thicker and tighter than the other one.
    I was just wondering looking back if that should have been painful and my brain just blocked me from feeling pain for other reasons.

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

This is actually a great example of 'Nocebo' vs 'Placebo'...so many things in our culture have been canvassed by the medical profession and we've been told 'oh that's gonna hurt'....and it gets repeated and blown up until people expect to be in pain...small accidents, incidents, surgeries needing major anesthesia. Sarno pointed out in HBP that guys returning from Major battlefield wounds in WWII needed little to no pain killers as their relief at being pulled out of battle overwhelmed their senses. The conditions under which an accident happens seem to have a lot to do with how people perceive the trauma and pain...

Watch any little kid... He runs and falls down. He looks up at Mom. She screeches 'OMG' and he starts crying and it hurts.
    Same kid out playing with friends falls down....looks up. His friends laugh....he gets up and keeps playing...even bleeding!

The medical industry has turned into the 'OMG' shrieking Mommy. They always err on the side of drama.

Since reading Sarno, I have actually had to aggressively silence people around me. "Oh ...that's gonna hurt".

"No Bro. It's Not. That's some old wives tale. "

and that's what probably happened to you. No one got into your head or you didn't let them. It's a great lesson for all of us

BloodMoon likes this.
  5. PsychePsyche

PsychePsyche New Member

I don't know but it sounds good on me for no reason.