1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Should I tell my therapist about my TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Davideus85, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Davideus85

Davideus85 Peer Supporter

I’ve been seeing an LMFT for a while now and I’m just wondering if it would be a good idea to tell him about my TMS, something I haven’t even considered doing at this point. Not sure if it would be beneficial or not, I just figure since he’s a mainstream therapist he’s not likely to even have heard of TMS let alone be on board with the mindbody model for treatment. Any thoughts?

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

You could broach the subject and say you are studying the mind body approach to reversing physical symptoms. Convey that you know your emotions are the root cause and you want to work on addressing the emotions that lie beneath the anxiety (that is getting expressed in your body). It's very hard to say if, and how much your therapist knows about the subject. I had a therapist years ago who had a spinal cord stimulator in her back for back pain, so she was not up on TMS. Your therapist could help you to process emotions and reduce fear around triggers but they need to embrace the premise that you will get better (not just "cope"). I guess feel them out and see how they respond. If they veer you towards a 'coping model" in terms of symptoms, I would drop the subject and just focus on the other areas you have been working on. If you feel that you have gone as far as this therapy can take you, it may be time to focus on the TMS. If you feel that you have unresolved trauma or other deep seated issues, or marital issues for ex., that still needs to be covered, then you may want to stay with them for now and do the TMS work on your own (or do some coaching sessions). There are many options but it really depends on your individual needs.

Balsa11 and Davideus85 like this.