1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Should I stop using a special cushion for my coccydynia?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by plafield, Jan 15, 2019.

1. plafield

plafield New Member

My pain has been totally localized in my tailbone and is mostly triggered by sitting, although it changes in quality, frequency, and intensity which is why I feel certain it's TMS. It seems as if the things I've read are telling me I should be trying to act as if I have no pain or don't care about the pain and that I should stop "treating" it. I'm practicing "outcome independence" as much as possible (as well as following Howard Schubiners program Unlearn Your Pain) and I've definitely had improvement since I began my journey believing I have TMS. But using the special pillow, especially in the car, really does reduce the pain, every time. If the pain is TMS it makes sense that it's just my brain somehow convinced the cushion helps and I shouldn't need the pillow, but it seems impossible to get my brain to change that belief since the pillow does, indeed, reduce the pain from sitting. Any input appreciated!

2. music321

music321 Well known member

I'd use it. Sarno said something about not pushing through pain.

3. plafield

plafield New Member

Thanks. I've come to that conclusion as well. It's about letting go of focusing on the pain and getting to a point of not caring about it. It's not about suffering through it when there's help for it that doesn't involve limiting your life.

4. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Use it if it helps. There are muscles around the coccyx that could be tense. I personally believe coccydynia is TMS. But I also think suffering can make you more tense, so it becomes a vicious cycle. Use it for the symptoms and tell yourself it’s harmless pain and will eventually go away. :)