1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Should I be worried about osteoporosis Im 26

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by schmitty, Apr 11, 2018.

1. schmitty

schmitty Newcomer

Hi everyone. When I was 18 I was very insecure due to my height. I am 5'5 and especially in high school it really bothered me. I began to use shoe lifts that gave me an extra 1-2 inches. This was uncomfortable but I wore them daily. I continued this well into college and my senior year of college I developed back pain in between my shoulder blades. I do remember lifting something with my lifts on and I remember I thought to myself can this hurt my back? I went to the internet and googled can "high heels hurt back" and things similar to this. I began to hurt shortly after. The pain continued for weeks but it did go away when I took the lifts out. I finally went to see my uncle who is a chiropractor. He took an x-ray and found I had evidence of a wedge compression fracture. I believe it was two actually. They were healed and he could tell it happened a while back. He didn't seem to concerned and said it happens often to teenage boys who lift weights(which I did). I squated and deadliftted often. Never very heavy which kind of scared me and made me think I could have osteoporosis. i stopped using the lifts daily and this helped. I also soon came across the John Stossil 20/20 video. In the video he says he had a fracture in his back, it made me feel less scared. I read sarno's book and my pain essentially went away for 5 years. It would hurt occasionally but was better for the most part. A few weeks ago I remember doing dishes and I felt a little twinge of pain and instead of shrugging it off like usual I freaked out and starting googling things like osteoporosis. I freaked myself out. over the next few days the pain progressively got worse. I remember going to the gym and the over head press machine wasn't adjusted correctly. I pushed up and it hurt my back. This further freaked me out. It's now been two weeks and the pain is constant. I went to two different chiropractors and they said it happens with old compression fracture injuries don't worry. I even called my uncle he said stop freaking out you don't have osteporosis. I have always ate healthy and it does not run in my family and i'm only 26. The week the pain came back I was very stressed with work and life. Should I be worried? Or should I shrugg this off as TMS?

2. Shabangschmitty

Shabangschmitty Newcomer

Please help

3. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Osteoporosis in 26 year old male would be a kind of a medical miracle I think. It sounds to me that the chiropractor is right. What I don’t really understand is the phrase ‘to shrug it off as TMS’. The point is not to shrug the pain off, but to understand that the reason for pain is of emotional, psychological character. So, I think the stress you feel at work and in your life sounds to me like a good place to start.

4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

No, this is not something your age group typically has to be concerned about. I agree with Time2be's comment.

If Sarno's books helped you in the past, there's a pretty good chance you're dealing with TMS ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
    Ewok2 likes this.