1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Shifting pain/new pain, quite scary

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by unknownnicole, Apr 9, 2019.

1. unknownnicole

unknownnicole New Member

Hey everyone, I’m pretty new to my journey delving into TMS. My main issue for 6 months has been sciatica in both legs. I really haven’t gotten any relief from traditional methods, physio, chiro, osteo, etc. But genuinely, the last few days my pain has decreased quite a lot at some moments. Not gone by any means, but definitely less.

I suppose this gives me the confidence to feel more reassured about my TMS diagnosis. However, I am starting to get discomfort in my jaw. It’s always clicked on and off and never hurt, but it’s clicking much more and feels very achey and inflamed. Ironically, I only heard about TMJ VERY recently. I wonder if my brain has chosen this spot because of my new knowledge about it?

It’s very frightening though and hard not to obsess or worry about a new discomfort. It makes me scared that I won’t be able to overcome this if pain continues or shifts. It’s very overwhelming.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi unkownnicole,

I understand that you're worried, and dealing with new symptoms. My recommendation is to take this deeply:

This is common. We hear about something, then we "get it."

Try to ignore, and use mindfulness to watch fears and dismiss them. Here is a post I made about this becomes easier over time. In a sense this is a good thing for you, because you can practice on a new symptom, which is often easier than a long-standing symptom. It is easier to see as TMS since it is just now arising, and you're already educated about TMS.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/ease-trust-success-and-positive-loops.19807/ (Ease, trust, success, and positive loops)

Pietro Carloni and unknownnicole like this.
  3. unknownnicole

unknownnicole New Member

Thanks so much for your reply and reassurance, I really appreciate it. I really do think it's quite silly that I've had my jaw click painlessly for probably years, and within weeks of hearing about TMJ I start to get painful symptoms. I guess my brain knows I'm onto it. Thanks again.

JanAtheCPA likes this.