1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Shifting from the physical to the psycological

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tnozaki, Sep 9, 2020.

1. tnozaki

tnozaki New Member

Hi I've been battling TMS for 6 months (medically diagnosed as a Somatic Disorder), and recently started my journey to utilize the advice I get from the books and the structured TMS recovery program. I also decided to work with a TMS therapist from the pain psychology center.

One of my main struggles is that the physical symptoms that are constant and unrelenting have a strong grip on my mind. I get worried, frustrated, sad and hopeless as this whole time I haven't been able to see signs of consistent improvement. The condition has indeed been "all consuming" for me despite my best efforts to change that.

In Sarno's book the Mindbody Therapy, there is a section about shifting my focus away from the physical symptoms, and towards the psychological.

Would anyone be willing to share how they've been able to put this into practice?
    When you're symptoms are bad - Did you reflect upon current and past stressors that may have caused certain emotions that you might be repressing?

It's been a lonely, difficult battle for me thus far. I hope that I can find some hope (I am in tears and my hands are shaking in grief and sadness as I write this), that firmly believe this is a curable condition and that I can finally get on the write track towards a full recovery.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sita

Sita Well known member

Hi,

There is improvement, for sure. Even though you don't see it yet. It's there! Just continue and have patience.

Just continue to take care of your mental state. Good care!

I personally needed psychotherapy. I did it, even though it was terrible hard. I tried a few therapists, each one was very helpful in very different ways. Interpreting dreams, using visualizations, talking and going in deep...great details, going back in time, talking about my parents, grandparents, good friends and their own trauma. Suicide, depression, sensitivity, anger etc. Discussing about patterns of thinking (my patterns and grooves), the influences of the society I was raised in, traumas that I experienced, response to traumas, illnesses, bad habits, good habits, support, betrayal, culture, politics, strengths and weaknesses. Etc.

The easier thing for me before therapy was to act outside in a way that made me "feel good" in the moment. To help others, to volunteer, to donate money etc. And I felt good. But I just wanted to goo deeper. Because my pain was still there, in the body, manageable but still there. I just wanted to go to the root of the problems (all my issues) and improve on the inside. So I would not need the validation from others (from the outside). I didn't want to change the world and improve it on the outside. I first, wanted to get whole myself on the inside. And then...maybe...after the foundation was strong enough, to be able to contribute on the outside. With my healthy and positive vibrations.

All the best to you! Have faith and courage, you'll improve gradually and heal!

3. tnozaki

tnozaki New Member

Thank you for sharing your story - sounds like you really worked to leave no stone unturned. I think I will adapt a similar approach as well when it comes to understanding and addressing the deeper psychological issues. I'm also volunteering in my community as well. Gratitude for your supportive thoughts and wishes.

Sita likes this.
  4. Sita

Sita Well known member

I still have so much work to do in this regard...

Very nice. It's true the saying: "When I help others, my own cup of happiness gets full."